AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to determine the best placements for my ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good afternoon,

I'd like to improve my results selecting the appropiate Placements for my Ads. What's the best strategies to find out those Placements?

Thank you very much,

Joan A. Rubio

Software Greenhouse

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How to determine the best placements for my ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joan, and welcome to the forum.  Well, I guess in your case randomly throwing stones is out of the question...

I suspect the other knowledgeable people here will have a variety of different answers, so mine is certainly not gospel.  Perhaps more importantly, exactly how you go about it could vary from business to business so there's not really a very hard or fast rule to follow.  So here's just some general tips.

Broadly speaking, I'd suggest there are three main routes to picking Managed Placements for ads:

1)  Personal knowledge.  If the business you're advertising is your own, you may well already be aware of a number of the most popular/useful sites in that business category.

2)  The Placement Tool.  Google provides a handy tool for doing exactly what you're asking, including useful detail like how many impressions are expected, what type of ads the site accepts, targeting options, etc.  

3)  Trial and error.  You can also, of course, simply start with a wide net, for example using keyword matching or simple topics.  Then over time you can examine the data returned to see which sites work the best for you (by whatever metric you feel is appropriate) then move these to a managed list, turning off the broader option.

Why not just only use the Placement Tool?  Wellll, I think Google is great, honestly guys, I really do.  But sometimes the raw black and white data isn't enough to make an informed decision.  A site may look wonderful in the Placement Tool - lots of impressions, all sorts of ad options and plenty of targeting, but it could be terrible at converting your product(s).  And, of course, the opposite is true.

I guess I probably fall somewhere between all three stools.  I might start with a broad net on a limited budget just to see what's out there.  After some data collects, I'd compare this to the Placement Tool and refine.  And repeat ad nauseum.

Don't forget:

• Visit these sites yourself, have a look round, make sure they're appropriate to advertise your business.
  • Things change.  A site that was fine last year may have radically changed this year.
  • Things change.  New sites appear all the time and could be great performers.  Remember to check for new placements every few months or so.
  • Ditto sites that have died.
  • Think about seasonal variations (if appropriate).  Some sites do virtually no business then leap into life at the holidays or Easter, etc.  Bear this in mind when viewing data on a site for a specific time period.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How to determine the best placements for my ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joan, and welcome to the forum.  Well, I guess in your case randomly throwing stones is out of the question...

I suspect the other knowledgeable people here will have a variety of different answers, so mine is certainly not gospel.  Perhaps more importantly, exactly how you go about it could vary from business to business so there's not really a very hard or fast rule to follow.  So here's just some general tips.

Broadly speaking, I'd suggest there are three main routes to picking Managed Placements for ads:

1)  Personal knowledge.  If the business you're advertising is your own, you may well already be aware of a number of the most popular/useful sites in that business category.

2)  The Placement Tool.  Google provides a handy tool for doing exactly what you're asking, including useful detail like how many impressions are expected, what type of ads the site accepts, targeting options, etc.  

3)  Trial and error.  You can also, of course, simply start with a wide net, for example using keyword matching or simple topics.  Then over time you can examine the data returned to see which sites work the best for you (by whatever metric you feel is appropriate) then move these to a managed list, turning off the broader option.

Why not just only use the Placement Tool?  Wellll, I think Google is great, honestly guys, I really do.  But sometimes the raw black and white data isn't enough to make an informed decision.  A site may look wonderful in the Placement Tool - lots of impressions, all sorts of ad options and plenty of targeting, but it could be terrible at converting your product(s).  And, of course, the opposite is true.

I guess I probably fall somewhere between all three stools.  I might start with a broad net on a limited budget just to see what's out there.  After some data collects, I'd compare this to the Placement Tool and refine.  And repeat ad nauseum.

Don't forget:

• Visit these sites yourself, have a look round, make sure they're appropriate to advertise your business.
  • Things change.  A site that was fine last year may have radically changed this year.
  • Things change.  New sites appear all the time and could be great performers.  Remember to check for new placements every few months or so.
  • Ditto sites that have died.
  • Think about seasonal variations (if appropriate).  Some sites do virtually no business then leap into life at the holidays or Easter, etc.  Bear this in mind when viewing data on a site for a specific time period.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits