AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to delete automatically created remarketing list asap!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

For the second time in a month I received a message from Adwords telling me:

One or more of your remarketing lists have been disabled for use with AdWords. The list(s) violate the AdWords Policy for advertising based on interests and location:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465.

Problem is, I never created any remarketing list myself. I do see one, I can’t delete it because it was automatically created. What is disturbing is that the message is reminding me that:

Repeated violations of our advertising policies may result in the suspension of your AdWords account, so it's important to address any issues as soon as possible.

I didn’t do anything at all to get these messages but still my account is now getting flagged because of this and I can’t do anything about it. Next time I get this message the system may automatically suspend my account for the rest of my life for no actual reason. This is obviously a “bug” adwords programmers didn’t think about when they decided to automatically generate remarketing lists.

What am I suppose to do now? I really need to get these two false violations removed from my account to keep it safe and then get that remarketing list removed from my account for good.

Please advise,

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to delete automatically created remarketing list asap!

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Have you pasted the remarketing code on any page in your website? If so, I'd suggest removing it from all pages on your website. This would eventually make the list empty. Also, are you using the list in any campaign? If so, I'd suggest removing it from the campaign.

You can also contact Google to check if that would suffice, since the system doesn't allow automatically created lists to be deleted.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your reply.

No I didn't use the list, didn't even know that was existing before I got a first email on August 19th about it. It is not affected to any ad group / campaign either. If I click on it, it says "list currently unused." I see "List defined by rules" under tags/def. It says "based on your conversion tracking tag". Does this means I'm not allowed to track my conversions? I've done this since 2008 when I started without any problem... I'm using per CPA bidding.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Contacted them. Looks like the adwords tracking code I'm using to track conversions is acting as a remarketing tracking code. Solution is to replace the code from adwords with one from Analytics.

I'm told I'll be able to do CPA bidding based on the data from Analytics. Hope this is right...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@NickS

As @Sumanth Sridhar explained, the list cannot be created unless you had installed the code. So double check with your programmer and pause any remarketing campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author NickS
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Just wanted to close this topic with what I have learned.

So the remarking list called "All Converters" was automatically created. As its summary says, this list is people who converted on my site and it is based on the conversion tracking tag, not the remarketing tag. Even if you don't install the remarking tag this kind of remarking list will still run and get fed with the conversion tracking code tag.

Following Google Support advice, I removed all Adwords conversion tags from my site and installed analytics. I've set a goal in analytics which is happening on conversions. I linked Adwords with Analytics so that the goals get imported into Adwords. This way my CPA bidding continues to work.

Now when I look that the remarketing list under shared library / audiences I still see the list. It still can't be removed but its membership status is now "closed". Also, the remarketing tag box now says "We haven't detected the AdWords tag on your website or in your app".

It is the only solution to get rid of automatically created remarketing lists.

Hope this helps!

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Thanks for updating this thread for the benefit of other community members. Much appreciated Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar