AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to deal with the same KW in different campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone, I have an important question about dealing with keywords.

I am creating different campaigns for my client to test the different ad copies to different target audiences in adwords.

So, I am about to create six different campaigns with target-specific ads (ads tailored for youngsters, parents, seniors etc.). However, the keywords are supposed to be mostly the same kws in all campaigns. I know that it is not a very smart idea to create different campaigns and using the same kws in all of them, so I'm asking if there is any other way to accomplish this sort of test campaigning?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Samikos
September 2015

Re: How to deal with the same KW in different campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello, Samikos.

If you want to tailor different ad messages, for different audiences, and use exactly the same targeting, and then try to get a glimpse into your audience by looking at which ad worked best, then you can do the following:

• create one campaign, and one ad group
  • put all your keywords in that ad group (hopefully they're all related, and any ad would fit any keyword)
  • put all your ads in the same ad group as well
  • set your ads to rotate evenly
  • label your ads according to the target group
  • have your ad rotation set to "even" rotation, of all ads, regardless of their performance

This way you won't have duplicate keywords, and you'll be able to tell, in time, which audience performed best. And the same keyword will trigger different ads, hopefully pretty evenly.

However, what you can also do, is to make your keywords audience-specific, if possible, and attain a higher search term / ad relevance. But that's another issue for another "day", maybe.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi 

As you are mentioning about demographic targeting i am assuming you are creating display campaign.

While the idea of your campaign seems to be great, you have to keep in mind demographic targeting for GDN is not really perfect one (according to my experience).

Now assuming demographics is not 100% perfect you are going to have a great deal of overlapping between your campaigns and you cant guarantee 100% that ad copy designed for youngster will not be shown to a parent. 

I doubt there is any way to segregate this unless you are using managed placements to perfection.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for quick your reply Nik, however I am creating a search network campaign instead of display campaign... I should've mentioned it in the original post (sorry).

The idea is that we're trying to see which point-of-view works well and which one(s) do(es) not work.
So if by the end of our campaign we see that youngster campaign and senior campaigns have a lot of clicks and conversions, we can conclude that those point-of-views worked well (at least better than the parent one).

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I dont think you can use demographic targeting for search campaigns. Please go through this page for details.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

In addition to what Nik said above, I would like to caution you about using duplicate keywords in different campaigns targeted towards Search Network. If the campaigns are targeting different locations, then it is fine, but if the campaign with same keywords are targeting same locations, then please note that only one keyword per account is allowed to trigger an ad. So it's going to be very difficult for you in that scenario to judge which campaign is performing best (because of same keywords across different campaigns).

As per the best practices, it's always good to avoid similar keywords and work on quality keywords, genuine ad copies, rather than pushing towards the quantity.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Samikos
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello, Samikos.

If you want to tailor different ad messages, for different audiences, and use exactly the same targeting, and then try to get a glimpse into your audience by looking at which ad worked best, then you can do the following:

• create one campaign, and one ad group
  • put all your keywords in that ad group (hopefully they're all related, and any ad would fit any keyword)
  • put all your ads in the same ad group as well
  • set your ads to rotate evenly
  • label your ads according to the target group
  • have your ad rotation set to "even" rotation, of all ads, regardless of their performance

This way you won't have duplicate keywords, and you'll be able to tell, in time, which audience performed best. And the same keyword will trigger different ads, hopefully pretty evenly.

However, what you can also do, is to make your keywords audience-specific, if possible, and attain a higher search term / ad relevance. But that's another issue for another "day", maybe.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Calin, for your suggestions, I will definitely try your method (let's see how it goes!)

Also, thank you all for your great insight and advice.