AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to create automated bidding rule based on another rule?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'd like to create an automated bidding rule so that if I have not reached my budget late in the day my bids increase 50%, and then go back to normal the following day (i.e. decrease by 33%).

I know how to create a rule to do the first part, but the second part is complex in that it should only run at the start of the day if the first rule actually ran the night before.  i.e. If the bids were not increased, they should not be decreased.  Any ideas how to set this up?  I don't see any relevant requirement for the second rule that would link it to whether the first rule ran...

Thanks!

Tyler

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to create automated bidding rule based on another rule?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tyler,

Not sure if Automated Rules and pull this off.

But, I'm just about positive that scripts can totally this...check for spend vs budget - make adjustments - apply label.

Next morning or at whatever time you choose the next day. Check for labels - if match - adjust bids back - reset label.

I wish I was better at scripting or I would help you more.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

You can use an automated rule to increase bids when cost is less than certain number at certain time.

For example, let's say that you have a campaign with a daily budget of $100 and you want to increase your bids by 30% if your budget doesn't reach 70$ by 10 pm. You can set an automated rule to raise bids by 30% to run at 10 pm when cost is less than $70.

Here's how to create that rule:-
1) Choose the Automatic action Raise bid by 30%.
2) Set the requirements for Cost < $70.
3) In the "Frequency" section, choose Daily and then 10 pm.

Note, your bids will get back to normal next day and they will not change until your campaign meets the automated rule requirements.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author TylerSanDiego
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Tyler, yes, Tommy's right, this is a job for Scripts rather than Automated Rules because the Rules won't "know" if the change had been made the previous night.

To do this in Scripts you'll need either two separate Scripts (or one with some clever switching based upon the time of day).  The first will examine the spend at your specified time (to within an hour) and, if it finds Campaigns under spend can apply the increase.  This script also needs to apply a Label to the Campaigns it alters - something like "BudgetChanged" - doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's unique and not used for any other purpose.  

The second script to run in the morning will look for Campaigns carrying the "BudgetChanged" label and then adjust their budgets accordingly and remove the "BudgetChanged" Label.

It wouldn't be that complex to set up - budget changes are easily handled by scripts.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Jon. Since I don't have scripting skills, I might just wait and hope AdWords adds this functionality to Automated Rules in the future...