AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to bulk duplicate text ads to create mobile-preferred versions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a bunch of ad groups (hundreds, across multiple accounts), where I need to create mobile versions of existing text ads.

The only difference would be the destination url (m.mysite.com  vs www.mysite.com), and the mobile-preferred setting for the mobile targeted ads.

These are used on search only- no display.

I've been pulling my hair out, trying to figure out how to do this efficiently, in bulk.  Been trying various methods in adwords editor- but none work, short of rebuilding each campaign from scratch in bulk (via excel- but then losing all history & QS) and/or making the change one adgroup at a time.

Oh, how I loved the ability to have separate mobile vs desktop campaigns....  :-(

BTW- I do not have the option of using the websites to ID mobile visitors, and route on that end.  The mobile v desktop routing must be done within adwords....

I'm about to look harder at destination keyword level URL's, and the value track ifmobile parameters- but figured there has to be a better way of implementing mobile-specific destination url's (efficiently).

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott G
September 2015

Re: How to bulk duplicate text ads to create mobile-preferred versions

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
First of all, be aware that you can have a single ad with a destination URL of the form {ifmobile:m}{ifnotmobile:www}.mysite.com. You don't strictly need two ads (though I suppose you might prefer them for other reasons).

There are many ways to do what you want in Editor. For example:

1) On Text Ads tab, search for www.mysite.com to locate all the ads you want to copy (use Advanced Search if the condition is more complicated than that).

2) Select all these ads (Edit > Select All or Ctrl+A)

3) Run Replace Text tool (Replace Text link at the bottom, or Edit > Replace text in selected items)

4) Find text: www.mysite.com
In: Destination URL
Replace With: m.mysite.com
Duplicate matching items and replace text in duplicates: checked (this is the important part)
Click Find Matches, follow prompts

5) At this point, you should have duplicates of all your ads, with modified destination URL. They should all be selected. Use Device Preference drop-down at the bottom to change them from All to Mobile.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Don´t pull your hair man, that must hurt!

I might be missing something here, but why can´t you just make a copy of all ads in bulk and change the url for the new ads? At the same time change the device adjustments for new ads.
This can be done the in the AdWords interface (not sure about the Editor)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott G
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
First of all, be aware that you can have a single ad with a destination URL of the form {ifmobile:m}{ifnotmobile:www}.mysite.com. You don't strictly need two ads (though I suppose you might prefer them for other reasons).

There are many ways to do what you want in Editor. For example:

1) On Text Ads tab, search for www.mysite.com to locate all the ads you want to copy (use Advanced Search if the condition is more complicated than that).

2) Select all these ads (Edit > Select All or Ctrl+A)

3) Run Replace Text tool (Replace Text link at the bottom, or Edit > Replace text in selected items)

4) Find text: www.mysite.com
In: Destination URL
Replace With: m.mysite.com
Duplicate matching items and replace text in duplicates: checked (this is the important part)
Click Find Matches, follow prompts

5) At this point, you should have duplicates of all your ads, with modified destination URL. They should all be selected. Use Device Preference drop-down at the bottom to change them from All to Mobile.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's precisely the issue- you can't copy ads across adgroups, then paste the duplicates back into the respective originating adgroups. You can only paste the copied ads back into one adgroup.

So- if you have hundreds of adgroups, and you want to create mobile versions of ads in each adgroup- how to do it in bulk?

Unless of course, I'm just missing something obvious.

BTW- two adwords reps said I had to do it adgroup by adgroup: but I'm not ready to give up since they also gave me erroneous advice on a few other issues (like one said I could create a mobile only campaign by setting my mobile bid-adjustment to +300%: yeah, that'd be a real good idea....).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Igor- thank you, that worked perfectly!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Scott for asking.
Thank's Igor for the hint.
I was searching for almost the same issue.

I would have
-exported the Ads,
-changed the - in my case - display URL via search and change in excel into e.g. mobil. and then
-changed the Column " Device Preference" into mobil preferred

I would have spent definitly more time.
I love working in Editor. There's always something new to discover.

My other fear was, that editor would not recognize a new ad, but editing an excisting ad by importing the copied mobil preferred ad which happens often, when changing only one thing in one line e.g. (there is no ID for an ad by exporting them)

Great Smiley Happy

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Nadin W wrote:
My other fear was, that editor would not recognize a new ad, but editing an excisting ad by importing the copied mobil preferred ad which happens often, when changing only one thing in one line e.g. (there is no ID for an ad by exporting them)

Editor can do it either way. There is a preference that controls this behavior.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
so, there is a way for it. Thanks!!

But what is if I do a small change in the head- or description lines in order to do A/B Testing?

I use a small trick to avoid that excisting ads won't change by editing e.g. !! in more than one lines, otherwise importing doesn't work.

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
If you modify headline, description 1 or description 2, the row will always be treated as creating a new ad. There is no way to edit these three fields in place via CSV Import or Add Multiple.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This Saved me a TON if Time...Great Advice!