AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to avoid my ads show on desktop

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, everyone,

If I don't want my ads show on mobile, I can decrease my bidding under device for mobile is -100%, but if I don't want my ads show on desktop, what should I do? 

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Felicia 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Re: How to avoid my ads show on desktop

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Felicia ,

There are no direct settings as such because the enhanced campaigns are intended to target all devices by default. One of the work around could be to minimal the bids and then increase the mobile bidding by 300% to target mobile devices more effectively. Doing that might prevent your ad to show on desktops. That's what most of the advertisers does as one of the best practices.

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Felicia ,

There are no direct settings as such because the enhanced campaigns are intended to target all devices by default. One of the work around could be to minimal the bids and then increase the mobile bidding by 300% to target mobile devices more effectively. Doing that might prevent your ad to show on desktops. That's what most of the advertisers does as one of the best practices.

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Felicia,

Though you have an option to restrict mobile device with full browser traffic but adwords do not offer any such option for desktops and tablet phones.

Another options you have:
Call only campaigns(not best for every business)
Opting mobile preferred ads, using mobile device bid adjustments +300% and bidding very low: adgroups and keywords bids. (Ads still may show on desktops but impressions will be lower to a good extent).

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Pankaj,

Yes, I increase the mobile bid to +300%, at the meantime, do I still need
to lower my maximum cpc? If like say my current maximum cpc is $5, if I
increase 300% for mobile. that means my cpc for mobile is up to $15,but for
pc still $5 which is 0%, I should divided my current cpc which is $5 by 4,
in this case I only can make my maximum cpc remain $5, do I?

Appreciated your kind reply.
Thanks & Regards,
Felicia

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@Felicia, you can have your Maximum CPC as low as possible.

If you will use $0.5 as max. CPC, then maximum CPC for mobile devices with full browser will be 300% more($1.5).

So, adjust your maximum CPC to a level that still your bid is high for mobile devices after bid adjustments.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Archit ,
But if 300% is not $2, if the original max. cpc is $0.5? As the $0.5 is 0%.
Thanks.
Felicia

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You can not restrict desktop traffic by 100% though you can reduce it to some extent doing so.
For example:
if your 1st page bid for desktop is $5 and you changes it to $0.5 as maximum then surely you have rare chances for your ads to be triggered on that keyword on desktops(your ad will be ranked low during the auction due to very low bid).
At the same time your keyword will have the bid of $1.5 on mobile device (due to 300% bid adjustments). Hence, you are bidding high for mobile devices and your ads will be available for auction and will gain higher position.

So, you need to experiment to set a specific bid which is best suitable for mobile devices after applying bid adjustments. May be you need to set max CPC as $1 to get mobile device bid as $3, or may need to set max CPC as $1.5 to get mobile device bid as $4.5.

Your target is to get best suitable bid for mobile, so set default max CPC in accordance. But yes don't don't set it $4 for ads are eligible to show for $5 on desktops, try to set it least.

Regards

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Shishi W

Actually, it depends on the type of campaign you are using.
If this is a Search campaign, then when you create your text ads check Device preference for "Mobile". It's not bulletproof to cancel Desktop appearances, so combine it with @pankaj1782 solution and you got yourself a pretty much working mobile campaign.

If your campaign is of Display type, check this thread by @mildaster for an interesting solution to cancel out Desktop from the campaign's traffic:
(It is originally for tablets, but you can also leave mobile in)

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Targeting-display-campaigns-ONLY-...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Arik,

Thank you so much for your help. Well noted.

Have a good day.Smiley Happy

Regards,

Felicia