AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to Increase Avg. CPC?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello!

So we have this tricky client. A lot of re-sellers for the same product compete against each other, and the Brand decided everyone should pay maximum of $1 per branded term so that the Brand Campaign itself wouldn't cost much.

Now, since Ad Rank is calculated by the bid, our Campaign lost quality. We have been doing everything we can to try to gain more positions, but we never appear at the top anymore.

We are trying to use rules and Enhanced CPC bids, but since the limit is always $1, nothing seems to work.

Has anyone ever gone through a similar situation? Any advice?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camila K
September 2015

Re: How to Increase Avg. CPC?

Top Contributor
# 13
Top Contributor

Hi Camila, again, it's impossible to say.  However, if you've got three Ads rotating evenly and you can see that one or two have a lower CTR than the other(s) - over a good period of data/activity - then it's worth trying to edit these to bring their CTR up.  Better CTR is always a good thing in AdWords so it can't hurt.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Camila, you've already posted on this topic and received replies here:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/How-to-make-AdW-pay-a-fixed-CPC/m-p/419626...

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Not really Smiley Happy

I talked about an specific attempt. Now I went directly to the point asking if there was anything we can do to work around that.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Sorry Camila, this still looks to me like your answers are in the first thread.

To gain a higher position for the same bid, you'll need to increase Quality Score, as John Paul Sing said in the first reply.  If you can't improve Quality Score and you can't increase the bid, your position is what it is and nothing else can be done.

Once again, I'll point out that Enhanced CPC can spend up to 20% over your set Max CPC so if you use this you run the risk of breaching your $1 limit (unless you set a Max CPC of $0.83).

Jon

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Camila,

Were you able to confirm whether it was the actual CPC or the bid that the manufacturer intended to cap at $1?

As Jon and John Paul mentioned, your best bet to rank higher for the keywords you are currently targeting is to improve QS. Add as many negatives as possible, improve your ads (maybe try DKI?) and improve your landing pages.

Beyond that, though, I would suggest mining for additional keywords. Look for long tail keywords that have less competition. The volume will be lower but at least it will add some incremental volume for cheaper.

Good luck!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, everyone Smiley Happy

We are still looking into this, but we haven't been successful. 

Average CPC can't surpass $1. We tried changing and applying rules and advanced CPC bidding, but nothing actually worked. 

We even called Google support and they said that no bidding strategy would make any difference.

Right now we are working on adding keywords. Working on long tail and some BMM combinations.

Thank you all for your replies. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Camila, this is probably a silly question, but have you made sure you have all possible Ad Extensions enabled for these Campaigns.  Ad Extensions also play a part in Ad Rank and if you're missing some your competitors are using, that could be one reason for losing rank.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have, Jon!

But we never reach the top to be able to display them.

There's about 10 retailers. We have tried several different text ads. This has been quite a challenge for everyone here.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

So what sort of Quality Scores are you seeing for your Keywords right now?

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Varies, but I'll give you a solid example of the best keywords. 10/10 and the three quality indicators Above Average. Yet, 4~6 position.

Would be possible the other retailers aren't obeying the $1 direction?