AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to Add Dynamic Remarketing Tags to Categories?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What are the best practices for adding dynamic remarketing tags to category pages? I notice a lot of websites are just leaving blank data for;

ecomm_prodid: '',
ecomm_pagetype: 'category',
ecomm_totalvalue: '',

If you add products it would make sense to add a string of values. How about the total value field? Any thoughts are appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Add Dynamic Remarketing Tags to Categories?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

ecomm_prodid and ecomm_totalvalue are required to be filled in only on the product pages. A category page practically has more than one products listed, hence a product ID or the total value cannot be passed on it. 

Total Value refers to the total price of the product (that is listed on the website) . 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ratan

Thanks for the feedback on this. What is your thought if a visitor comes to a category page or visits several of them and then bounces. If no values are passed on from these pages you are not really collecting any data for this user. Is that the best thing?

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David U
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hey David,

If you want to retarget category page viewers, you should pass an array of product ids on category pages. I've seen several clients do that very successfully.

My recommendation is to only pass a maximum of 3 product ids though. The reason is that for each user, the system can only remember a limited number of products seen and you don't want the products from your category page to override the products that might have been viewed on deeper pages like product pages or cart pages.

- Maxime

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Maxime T,

Thanks for this suggestion, it would definitely be a great idea. 

Something like the below will do?

ecomm_prodid: [364587, 1452452, 'mt14785']

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Sure that works, it's the same syntax as on a cart page essentially.

Small detail but in general I'd recommend not mixing datatypes in a JS array to avoid errors. Although your example would work I'd prefer to write it as:

ecomm_prodid: ['364587', '1452452', 'mt14785']

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Maxime, 

Great answer and appreciate someone sharing some out of the box thinking as a solution