AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How much do you have to bid to have your display ads appear?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I have just set up a new network display ad campaign with various ad groups. The Google folks have told me the display ads are set up fine; however, they are not being served. I have had zero impressions/clicks since launching 5 days ago. The latest message from Google is:

"You Will Have To Manually Increase Your Bids As Of Now For Your Ads To Start Serving. However, once your ads start serving, you can chose to go back to Automatic Bids and your ads will run fine then. But as of now, you will have to increase the bids manually for a couple of days."

My question: how high must I increase my CPC bid? Do I need to increase my daily budget (currently $100). I've upped my CPC bid substantially to no avail, and I've heard nothing back from Google. Any help is much appreciated.
 Thank you!

Kristen

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kristen A
September 2015

Re: How much do you have to bid to have your display ads appear?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,
I would suggest you to use Display Planner to get Historical CPC for your keywords.

Go to "Tools and Analysis" -> Display Planner -> Type your keyword and choose "Get Placement Ideas". There you go. Please not there are many tabs inside "Individual Targeting Ideas". Explore it.

Again, please note Hist CPC will provide you an idea only. Enter your bids based on this and keep monitoring your results and adjust your bids accordingly.

Regards,
Balu.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Kristen,

It depends on the size of your images and your placements. If you are only using managed placements, make sure the sites you have chosen accept ads in the sizes you have provided.

In your ad groups, be use to provide all available image sizes. Image ads occupy more than one ad unit. An ad unit is the size of a text ad. If your image ad occupies 3 ad units, you need to bid 3 times higher than for a text ad.

It's usually a good idea to provide text ads as a fall back. Not all sites in the DN accept image ads. Set the campaign to manual bidding and let it get a little history.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,
I would suggest you to use Display Planner to get Historical CPC for your keywords.

Go to "Tools and Analysis" -> Display Planner -> Type your keyword and choose "Get Placement Ideas". There you go. Please not there are many tabs inside "Individual Targeting Ideas". Explore it.

Again, please note Hist CPC will provide you an idea only. Enter your bids based on this and keep monitoring your results and adjust your bids accordingly.

Regards,
Balu.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Kristen,

It depends on the size of your images and your placements. If you are only using managed placements, make sure the sites you have chosen accept ads in the sizes you have provided.

In your ad groups, be use to provide all available image sizes. Image ads occupy more than one ad unit. An ad unit is the size of a text ad. If your image ad occupies 3 ad units, you need to bid 3 times higher than for a text ad.

It's usually a good idea to provide text ads as a fall back. Not all sites in the DN accept image ads. Set the campaign to manual bidding and let it get a little history.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords