AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How long to wait before turning on eCPC when starting a new campaign?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello all,

Enhanced CPC works off historic data so you have to wait a while for a new campaign to gather enough of it before enabling it.

I know it isn't an exact science but how long do people usually leave before thinking about enabling eCPC? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How long to wait before turning on eCPC when starting a new campai

ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Tom-James,

eCPC is pretty safe to turn on whenever you like. The way that this feature functions is by optimizing a certain % of your campaign. It will test this optimization against the "static" or unchanged part of your campaign and when it fails to beat its performance it will actually turn itself off. eCPC will also shut itself off if it does not have enough data on which to optimize.

Contrast this with Conversion Optimizer, which does need a bit of data density to start making positive adjustments to your campaign and does not have a built in automatic shut-off. For Conversion Optimizer I like to see at least a full month of data with at least 30 conversions within that month before using it on a campaign.

As you say, not an exact science.

ANP

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi ANP,

Thanks for your reply!

It is my understanding that eCPC uses historic campaign data to establish which queries to bid more on. Therefore if there is no historic data I'm confused as to what Google uses to decide where to bid more or less. Do you have any idea about this?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@tom-james;

This is a nice point you raise,

eCPC doesn't necessarily uses historical data. It uses a control group for part of the traffic / auctions  keywords participate in, and based on that, decides  whether to increase the bid;

Read more:

Enhanced cost-per-click (ECPC)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’