AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How long should we let conversion tracking run?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently began tracking conversions on our website.  I am exploring the possibility to switch to Enhanced CPC bidding, but am unable to find any information regarding how long to let the conversion run before switching to enhanced CPC. 

Do you have any suggested guidelines regarding this topic?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How long should we let conversion tracking run?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Generally, the more data you have in your account, the better and accurate results you will get, because this will help the system to make accurate predictions about your future results.

Enahnced CPC adjusts your bids based on keywords performance specifically based on each click’s likelihood to result in a conversion, however there is no particular number of conversions you should have to be eligible to use Enhanced CPC, just your campaign must have conversion tracking switched on.

Re: How long should we let conversion tracking run?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Gary, as Ahmed has suggested, the more data you have, the better.  Google sets a very low boundary for enabling conversion optimisation bidding strategies (Enhanced CPC, Conversion optimisation) and in my opinion they're way too low.

Consider what the process is trying to do:  It's looking at your Account and trying to draw conclusions about the likelihood of conversions given the various circumstances (Keyword, Ad, location, time of day, CPC, etc.).  If you have 1000 conversions a day for each Keyword, those conclusions have a lot of data to draw upon, if you have 1 conversion a month from each Keyword, it's really impossible to draw any meaningful conclusions.  That one conversion for that Keyword could have been a one-off - there may never be another sale for that Keyword - it might also be the start of a trend - you get the idea.

Personally, I'd look for at least 1 conversion per week per Keyword before trusting the automated optimisers and to be honest, I'd be happier with 1 per day per Keyword.

This doesn't mean you can't spot broad trends, and you need to check for "assist clicks" and the longer paths to conversion, but generally speaking, the more the better.

Jon 

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits