AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How is QS measured when having an exact match negative?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Quality Score is measured by many factors, from which one of the most important ones is CTR. 

For this CTR measure, they take into account the exact match CTR of the keyword, as it’s a better indicator of the effectiveness of the keyword. (The exact match CTR refers to the number of times the keyword has triggered an ad when the search term exactly matched the keyword.) 

So, with the following ad group structure how is CTR factor of QS measured in adgroup1?

Ad Group1

Keyword "umbrellas" (phrase match) 

Negative Keyword: [umbrellas]

QS: 2

Ad Group2: 

Keyword: [umbrellas]

QS: 7

Another interesting point which I don't understand is that  keyword "umbrellas" has a "Exact match IS" of around 40% how is this even possible?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Daniela P

I'm not sure I agree with your statement, "For this CTR measure, they take into account the exact match CTR of the keyword, as it’s a better indicator of the effectiveness of the keyword."

It's my understanding that the CTR of every query that "umbrellas" would trigger is taken into account. 

As for why you are seeing an exact match impression share, I believe it's due to the close variant feature.

You are sponsoring "umbrellas" which will also trigger ads that include the singular version "umbrella" and misspellings like "umbrela."
Negative keywords do not take into account close variants. So you are only excluding [umbrellas].

Hope that makes sense.

Re: How is QS measured when having an exact match negative?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

This statement is correct;  for QS calculation, the CTR is a bit different than the one shown on the UI: a click is counted in the calculation only when a search query exactly matches the keyword. (i.e when a keyword is matched with a close variant or  with a  synonym, and the ad is triggered and clicked -  the click is NOT counted).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@MosheTLV

you're talking about the first part of the OPs query? I wasn't aware of the close variant/misspell part so good to know, but I was referring to all the possible queries that the phrase match could trigger for. For example, blue umbrellas, buy umbrellas, umbrella repair, etc.  Are you saying those queries are not applied to the quality score of "umbrellas?"

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@David K;

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Scor...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: How is QS measured when having an exact match negative?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@David Kyle

From the very beginning of AdWords (2005), Google only collected data relative to keywords and their QS and derived metrics like estimated first page bid when the search query exactly matched the keyword. Reasons probably rooted in software engineering principles, however, I'd say it would not have been fair to advertisers to design the fundamentals of the structure in a different way. That's because when your keyword matches a search query 100% exactly the impressions and clicks come 100% based on your intention. When in contrast a search query is matched to your keyword by an algorithm based on various (and evolving) rules set by Google regarding various matching options... well, in such cases the impressions and clicks come based on an agreement between you and Google, that's not purely and exclusively based on your intention. 

@Daniela P

Based on the above, data for CTR for the purposes of calculating the QS values are only collected when the keyword and the search term are totally identical. Therefore it will not be happening in your Ad Group 1. It will only be happening in your Ad Group 2. 

"Another interesting point which I don't understand is that  keyword "umbrellas" has a "Exact match IS" of around 40% how is this even possible?"

In Ad Group 1? As @David Kyle says, search queries that are close variants etc may be considered for the calculation of Exact match IS, because they are not excluded by the negative exact match keyword.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Daniela P,

Only the QS you see in the UI is based on exact match. Otherwise, QS is calculated each and every time it is used or displayed. I think you will find the CTR in ad group 1 to be significantly lower than ad group 2, thus the lower QS.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you all for your insights, I find them very interesting. 

Regarding the 40% of Exact Match IS, I forgot to say that I checked in the search queries report and couldn't find any close exact match. so the only possibility I thought is that all this 40% is hidden in the row "Other search terms". 

Regading Quality Score, I still find it quite confusing, if we agree there's no calculation for CTR given that the exact match will never trigger. Can we agree that with this account structure we are opening a black space on how to improve a low QS? Could Google be taking an average of historical QS/competitors as they do when adding new keywords?

I don't sell umbrellas, but for the example our main keyword has seen a steady decrease on impressions (leading to a decrease of conversions). We used to have a good QS (7-6) but since we re-structured the account in this way (before all match types were together) I'm starting to think that we mantained the good QS only for the exact match and now the phrase match ad group has been dropping in QS. 3 weeks ago we saw the last decrease from 4 to 2. Expected CTR: Below Average.  We have worked testing ads/adding negatives/biddings, but for us it's still a black spot how to understand why we have such a low average when real CTR has been more or less the same and even it's now better with Expanded Ad texts. So "Real" or UI CTR doesn't count for QS, Exact Match doesn't count because it's not triggered/ or because it's also not counted accourding to some of your comments... So, there would be no way *known* to be able to measure this factor of CTR.  

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Daniela P;

I'd recommend reading this document by Google. It will shed light on your concerns / queries;

https://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/settling-the-quality-score-whitepaper-final.pdf

For QS  calculation, CTR is calculated  only for the queries in which the search term exactly matches the keyword and the ad was clicked. This was clearly stated by Google in the article I linked to David (see above). This  CTR is a bit different than the one shown on the UI.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you, I will re-read this document. I understand that the CTR will be different, but I can't see from where is google taking this CTR when the search term will never exactly match the keyword.