AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How does reporting differ while re marketing?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How does reporting for a campaign differ while re marketing on Ad Words? Can you see which sites the users are coming from? What information is available while re marketing? How does this info. differ from a standard Ad Words campaign? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelsey O
September 2015

Re: How does reporting differ while re marketing?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have read your earlier conversations , and I assume you only want remarketing in the Display Network.

1) "How does reporting for a campaign differ while re marketing on Ad Words? " , It doesn't , it is a normal Display Network campaign , with a targeting made from your Audience. You will be "hunting" your previous visitors across the internet , you will have the power to display Ads on partner websites that they visit.

The first important thing to know is that you have to place a disclaimer about remarketing on your website so that people are aware that your site is tracking them with cookies.

Also it is important to use the feature "Frequency capping" to avoid showing the same Ads dozens of times per day for the same person. This will lower the reporting of impressions and will increase your CTR.

2) "Can you see which sites the users are coming from?" . Yes , they will be available in the Placements tab.If you do not like results from certain sites you can use the Exclude feature.

3) "What information is available while re marketing?" , Impressions and clicks on Placements, conversions if you have setup conversion tracking, and many more. The main window to look at results is the Placements tab. 

4) "How does this info. differ from a standard Ad Words campaign?" In remarketing if you use an audience of people who "almost bought" , because they were half way to buying, the conversion rates will be usually higher than a normal Display Network Campaign.

Your targeting is the same every day , they can become bored : Also I would advise using different Ads for remarketing , aimed at luring back visitors , using a large variety of Ads , because you will be displaying them each day to the same people.

Your targeting is already small : If your audience is small and you narrow it further with more restrictions like keywords, topics, age you may get very few impressions.

Are you thinking to remarketing to "all visitors" or a custom list ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you so much for your reply. Much clearer now.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes to "small" audience, by Google standards, but wouldn't want to narrow further.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am glad to have helped but I want to make a point more clear. When I said small I didn't use any standard, I used my personal experience as a simple user like yourself to compare : 

A) the amount of visitors from large Display Network targeting placement like youtube which can be literally millions

and 

B) an audience for remarketing which can be a selected bucket of visitors , only some of the many visitors that a website has.

For example you could be targeting by remarketing only 10-15 % of your visitors which are the ones that visited your "contact page" ( you can set this up with a filter) because it is an indicator that they wanted to more know about your business. This is why your targeting can be small when using remarketing. Even if you have 100.000 visitors per month, by remarketing to 10% your target is narrowed to 10.000.

Also a helpful hint : the default duration of the remarketing cookie in a visitor's browser is 30 days and you can change it to a lot more, up to 540 days. This element , the cookie, is a file stored in their computer to remember the fact that they visited your site. For example if you have a lot of buyers in December you can apply remarketing Ads to them in April when another holiday is a reason for shopping 120 days later.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Interesting. Can you tell me how to go about changing the remarketing cookie time duration from 30 to more? How much time would you recommend based on your experience(s)?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Since there are 2 types of audience for remarketing that you can have , to make things simple I will refer only to the one created with the AdWords Tag. To change this duration just go in the left panel to "Shared Library / Audiences" and click on the 30 days in the column "Membership duration". This should appear to you :

change-membership-duration.png

2) The Help Center has some interesting case-scenarios for remarketing, you can study them in detail here :

Strategies for setting up remarketing campaigns

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks again!