AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How does one append query parameter values to a destination Url in an ad?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings.  I'm using dynamic keyword insertion. I'd like the landing page to be able to read a Url query parameter so the backend database can recognize from which "data set" the Adwords click came from.  Why do that?  In our case, we have several hundred products in the SAME FOLDER/dynamic Url.

Example destination url: www.domain.com/products/{Keyword:index.cfm}

When a visitor clicks on the ads, I'd like the landing page Url to be www.domain.com/products/item1.cfm?gclid=test&group=1

Notice the query parameter group=1.  That's what I'd like to place in the destination Url so, once rewritten with gclid as a parameter (Google does that automatically) then I also have group = 1.

Help would be appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How does one append query parameter values to a destination Url in an ad?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I am not entirely sure what you want but I believe ValueTrack parameters might server you better. 

so your destination url can be www.domain.com/products/?keyword={keyword} where {keyword} will be replaced by keyword which triggered the click. 

Then you can write a redirection mechanism on server side to read that keyword and redirect user to whatever page you want. Make sure you use 301 or 302 redirects

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I am not entirely sure what you want but I believe ValueTrack parameters might server you better. 

so your destination url can be www.domain.com/products/?keyword={keyword} where {keyword} will be replaced by keyword which triggered the click. 

Then you can write a redirection mechanism on server side to read that keyword and redirect user to whatever page you want. Make sure you use 301 or 302 redirects

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

www.domain.com/products/item1.cfm?group=1

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply.

Your example destination Url is for a static landing page = www.domain.com/products/item1.cfm?group=1

Ok, if I'm using dynamic keyword insertion = www.domain.com/products/{Keyword:index.cfm}

Then, are you saying the desintation Url in the ad = www.domain.com/products/{Keyword:index.cfm}?group=1 is correct?

What would the actual landing page URL be like once Google Adwords redirects?  Let's say keyword was "socks".

http://www.domain.com/products/socks?gclid=[gclid]&group=1 (this is what I desire.  I edited an ad and clicked to test. What I got was http://www.domain.com/products/socks?gclid=[gclid]  .  It was missing group=1 from the landing page URL.

Care to try it yourself and see where I mussed up?  Appreciated :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Nik,  thanks for the reply.  I checked out ValueTracks, thanks.  Those seem to be Google generated values evaluated at run time.  Can one of them be a custom value that I set myself?

We do use rewrites on my end to serve up the proper product page, as you guessed.  However, 301/302 must be done carefully as not to lose the gclid query parameter or the conversion tracking gets messed up. No gclid, no conversion  :-)

My challenge is that I want the correct syntax for the destination Url to allow for the landing page Url to include my query parameter. clicking on my ad for socks would end up showing in the user's browser as: http://www.domain.com/products/socks?gclid=[gclid]&mygroup=1

Further thoughts?  Maybe I am missing something in the example in ValueTracks where to set my own query param?  Cheers.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi 

I am not sure I understand your challenge 100% 

1. why do you need keyword in the url ?

2. you can preserve and rearrange query string information while doing 301 if you do it via server side scripting rather than via htaccess

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nik,

Answer to question 1: I desire to pass a query parameter so that I may differentiate between ads coming from different campaigns to the same landing page.

Answer to question 2: in my view, it's not about rewriting the request when it comes to my web server. I mentioned I can do that. My challenge is writing the destination Url in an ad that ENDS UP passing the query parameter I specify.  Google does a rewrite on its end to add the gclid and process its reserved query params.  Please assist with writing a destination Url that uses dynamic insertion and passes a custom (non-Google defined) query parameter.

Does that help?  Kindly, Loren

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Loren,

Let's look at a couple things here. First, let's look at the link. You have:

http://www.domain.com/products/socks?gclid=[gclid]&mygroup=1

That won't do what you think it will. Do this instead:

http://www.domin.com/products/socks?mygroup=1

The AdWords system is smart enough to append the gclid name/value pair to your query string.

OK, now I'm going to tell you it looks to me like you are trying to take a short cut in setting up your campaigns and that might not be the wisest idea. Let's say you are selling socks, shirts and shoes. Your proposed setup here would place all those items in one ad group and use the dynamic keyword insertion to determine which page to show. Keep in mind here, DKI puts in the keyword on which you bid, so your system will need to take this into account. That means you will likely need to add each keyword on which you bid to your own system so it can decide which page to show.

I'm going to suggest that, rather than doing this, limit your ad groups to one product-variations may exist within that group or you might want to split some of those things out-women's socks, men's socks, children's socks, etc., then use a "static" destination URL for those products. It's going to make your life simpler in the long run, and your ads will likely perform better that way.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

Good reply.  I am using Isapi rewrite on my end so I am able to easily serve up unique pages for inbound requests. So, socks, shoes, shirts, apples, bananas, lemurs would all have a result (as long as it is a valid product, otherwise 404).

I'm going to play more with destination Url values. I'll work to see what Google sends through as a final Url (including the gclid that I understand Google dynamically appends to query string of Url).  I'll see if I can find the destination Url that works for me including the query params I seek with dynamic keyword insertion.

Thanks again for the follow-up.  Appreciated!