AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How does Auto tagging Work?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

This is the first time I have opted for Auto-tagging instead of Manual. I dont know how it exactly works, I have enabled it in the Adwords preference tab. I thought it would deliver more metrics in the analytics page but I only see the clicks named (not set) in the paid section.

I dont see from which campaign or adgroup the clicks came from. May be I might have missed something in the process, could someone please help.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Raj.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Raj K
September 2015

Re: How does Auto tagging Work?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Raj,

Please note that the day you turned on auto tagging, after that only Analytics will start collecting the Adwords details in Analytics interface and prior data will be shown as not set if there was no tagging involved as such.

Also make sure that you have properly linked Adwords with Analytics and you have applied cost data as well.

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Raj K
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Raj,

Please note that the day you turned on auto tagging, after that only Analytics will start collecting the Adwords details in Analytics interface and prior data will be shown as not set if there was no tagging involved as such.

Also make sure that you have properly linked Adwords with Analytics and you have applied cost data as well.

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Did you do the gclid parameter test, to test if there is a redirect in the URL
The important thing whith the test is that the parameter does not disappear.

If (not set) is appearing in your AdWords reports, it means that the website you're tracking in the Analytics account is receiving visits from an AdWords account that is not linked as a cost source to the reporting view.

You should review the following:
Auto-tagging is on but cost data is not applied
See http://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034316?hl=en

There is a redirect in the URL
The gclid parameter is altered or dropped from the ad
See: CPC Data Not Collected :
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1714454

Occasionally, information related to a click can be lost even if auto-tagging is enabled. You may see some (not set) entries instead of keyword, ad-content, or campaign information that could not be collected.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I got it through, thank you so much for the responses guys. You made my day.