AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do some Google ads show more than the allowed characters?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've noticed a number of Google Ads that are showing way more than the 35 character limits per line. They all seem to be quite big companies so I am wondering if they are getting an advanced service. Does anyone have an idea if this is possible for an ordinary Adwords customer?

Here are just a couple of examples of ads way over the 35 character limit for the non-headline lines (based in the UK), these are all text, i.e. not sitelinks.

Website Design Just £199 - yell.com‎
For A Website Designed With Impact. Call & Save £300 As A New Customer! (71 characters)
Free Website Assessment · Fully Mobile Optimised · Premium Website Design (73 characters)

Dog Insurance by Petplan® - petplan.co.uk‎
9 Out Of 10 Vets Promote Petplan®. Get an Online Quote Now! (59 characters)
Up to £12,000 in vet fees · Over 1m pets insured · The UK’s no 1 pet insurer (76 characters)

Compare Travel Insurance - Moneysupermarket.com‎
Find Cheap Travel Insurance From as Little as £4.74! Compare & Save (67 characters)
Compare 40+ providers · Single or annual cover · Cover for over 50s (67 characters)

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben J
September 2015

Re: How do some Google ads show more than the allowed characters?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

It is quite natural to think that Google has given an advantage to big brands in these cases. However, that's not the case actually.

In all of these examples, the domain name is shown in the headline, along with actual headline text.

Google sometimes shows the domain name along with actual headline to prominently display the brand. Here's an article on the AdWords Blog describing this update. Unfortunately, this is automatically done by Google and we do not have any control over this feature. Here's a discussion about this topic on our community.

Following are description lines 1 & 2 combined together which have a character limit of 70 (35+35) characters:

For A Website Designed With Impact. Call & Save £300 As A New Customer! (71 characters)
Find Cheap Travel Insurance From as Little as £4.74! Compare & Save (67 characters)

I believe they're combined together, as the domain name was shown in the headline, leaving no space for description line 1.

Words in the last line are call out extensions which are not a part of the Ad Text. If you notice carefully, you'll find a period that separates each call out. Character limit for each call out is 25 characters. More info about policies for call out extensions here.

Free Website Assessment · Fully Mobile Optimised · Premium Website Design (73 characters)
Up to £12,000 in vet fees · Over 1m pets insured · The UK’s no 1 pet insurer (76 characters)
Compare 40+ providers · Single or annual cover · Cover for over 50s (67 characters)

It is certainly possible for any advertiser to use call out extn. However, having the domain name displayed as a part of the headline cannot be controlled by us.

Feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben J
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

It is quite natural to think that Google has given an advantage to big brands in these cases. However, that's not the case actually.

In all of these examples, the domain name is shown in the headline, along with actual headline text.

Google sometimes shows the domain name along with actual headline to prominently display the brand. Here's an article on the AdWords Blog describing this update. Unfortunately, this is automatically done by Google and we do not have any control over this feature. Here's a discussion about this topic on our community.

Following are description lines 1 & 2 combined together which have a character limit of 70 (35+35) characters:

I believe they're combined together, as the domain name was shown in the headline, leaving no space for description line 1.

Words in the last line are call out extensions which are not a part of the Ad Text. If you notice carefully, you'll find a period that separates each call out. Character limit for each call out is 25 characters. More info about policies for call out extensions here.

It is certainly possible for any advertiser to use call out extn. However, having the domain name displayed as a part of the headline cannot be controlled by us.

Feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth Sridhar, the article you submitted says it was posted on 2011.
Im not sure this is the case nowadays. I share the same question with Ben J, and couldnt find an answer yet on this, basically cause sometimes it looks as the description lines are being treated separately, and do not add up to give more character limit.
Please advise if there is any best practice to leverage this situation, and make my adds behave that way.
Thanks,
diego

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Diego P,

Yes, the update was released back in 2011 but I'm not aware of any changes to this behavior apart from replacing the vertical bar ( | ) with a hyphen ( - ) to separate the actual headline from domain name.

As mentioned in the other thread, we don't have any control over this. I believe the best we can do to leverage this would be to optimize ads to show in top positions, hoping Google would pick our ads as well.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ah great, thanks for the explanation. I always thought the callout extensions were something to do with phone calls so had ignored! Thanks for the tip.