AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do display keywords work?

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

As I understand it, with display adgroups, Adwords scans all of the keywords in your adgroup, and assigns a theme to that adgroup, which it uses to match up to web content for placement. Is this correct? If it is correct, why is it that we have keyword level metrics in display adgroups? For instance, I have display adgroups where some keywords have 30,000 impressions and some have 0. How am I to interpret this? 

Re: How do display keywords work?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

scans all of the keywords in your adgroup, and assigns a theme to that adgroup

THis used to be correct, but a year ago Google changed the way contextual keyword matching works.

Personally, because reports are not given for what keyword was matched with what URL (unless you have only 1 keyword in you ad group) I think it´s hard to figure out and evaluate how this work.

Re: How do display keywords work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, that is the case. You can see on this link here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453986?hl=en

It clearly states: "Your ad group's keyword list helps us show your ads on relevant websites that your customers visit."