AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do I turn off automatic display ad placements?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I only want my ads to appear on managed display ad placements. The automatic placements clicks use 80-90 percent of my daily budget with very low CTR and typically no conversions. Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How do I turn off automatic display ad placements?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jas,

IIRC, older versions of AdWords used to offer you a direct option to disclose automatic placements, but it seems gone now.

You need to apply some workaround. Basically, if you haven’t bid on any deeper targeting methods, AdWords uses your ad group default bid. If your ad group contains a Display Network bid, this bid applies even when there are keyword-specific bids. Either way, set all the bids mentioned above to $0.01, then go to your managed placements, edit them all, and finally change them. The new bids will overwrite the above ones for the managed placements only.

Best,

Lakatos

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Or try this:
If your campaign is not already a "display only" campaign, make it that => then go to the display-network tab => click the "Choose display targeting" button => choose your ad group => choose one of these two options: Show ads only on these placements or Show ads on all eligible placements.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jas85255
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

this seemed to work. thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Does not work now, ADWORDS seems to move very quick, this info is obsolete please update...