AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do I set a rule NOT to bid against another company

C S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
C S
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yellowpages is running a campagin for our company but we already have Google Adwords running and we both are bidding against each other. I see both ads on the same page sometime ours on top spot, other times they are on top spot.  How do I set a rule NOT to bid against their (Yellow pages) ad campaign. 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author C S
September 2015

Re: How do I set a rule NOT to bid against another company

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good afternoon.

You are not given control over which ads your ads compete against.

It's tricky to have campaigns for one company in more than one AdWords account and can cause a number of problems. I would strongly suggest that you review your Yellow Pages campaign and make certain that your own AdWords campaign is not targeting the same keywords.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Unfortunately there is no way to choose who you are bidding against. You can only choose keywords which you want to bid on and negative keywords which you dont want to bid on.

I guess if you can find some sort of pattern in their keyword selection you can add those as negatives to your account.

But if i was in your place i will definitely keep bidding on brand keywords and maintain top position for them, because you definitely dont want to send your brand traffic to a page where user may also find other options.

If your brand is trademarked you may also look at this option, this wont stop them from bidding on your trademark but they wont be able to use it in adcopy which means their position will drop with low QS and you will be able to get clicks at lower rate than them

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good afternoon.

You are not given control over which ads your ads compete against.

It's tricky to have campaigns for one company in more than one AdWords account and can cause a number of problems. I would strongly suggest that you review your Yellow Pages campaign and make certain that your own AdWords campaign is not targeting the same keywords.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Unfortunately there is no way to choose who you are bidding against. You can only choose keywords which you want to bid on and negative keywords which you dont want to bid on.

I guess if you can find some sort of pattern in their keyword selection you can add those as negatives to your account.

But if i was in your place i will definitely keep bidding on brand keywords and maintain top position for them, because you definitely dont want to send your brand traffic to a page where user may also find other options.

If your brand is trademarked you may also look at this option, this wont stop them from bidding on your trademark but they wont be able to use it in adcopy which means their position will drop with low QS and you will be able to get clicks at lower rate than them

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog