AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do I remove targeting groups from ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to remove a targeting group from a specific ad, but when I go to edit it and click "enable targeting group for..." I only have the option to click on additional ads for which the targets will be applied. Is there a way to remove them? 

Sorry for the rookie question! Still getting the hang of this.

Thanks much! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I remove targeting groups from ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Lisa.

Product targets are applied at ad group level. Select your ad group in the left column then click on the auto targets green tab.

Then select "View: Product targets".

You'll see a list of them. Check the ones you want to remove and choose "Change Status ..." (grey tab) and "Delete" from the drop-down.

AdWords Product Targets

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: How do I remove targeting groups from ads?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Lisa, I think you're talking about Video Ads, aren't you?

If so, the process is slightly different.  You either have to edit the Ad in question, then right down at the bottom of the screen, just above the "Save" button, is a section on "Targeting", where it says "Enable ad for".  You can edit this section there.  Or you can do it by editing the Target group itself.  Click on the "pencil" icon again to edit the Group then near the top, under the name, edit the section labelled "Enable targeting group for:".  

Editing the Ad will mean the Ad going into the review process again, I'm 99% sure, whereas edting the Group may not, so I'd probably use this latter method.

More about Targeting here (adjusting Ads is right at the bottom)

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits