AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do I exclude mobile apps from AdWords display network campaign?

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Happy ThursdaySmiley Happy

We occasionally have users who don’t want their display ads to target mobile apps. Allegra is here to show us how to exclude mobile apps from your display network campaign.

Cheers,

Carissa

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Hannah (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: How do I exclude mobile apps from AdWords display network campaign

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Community,

Follow these steps to stop your display ads showing on mobile apps:

1. Click into your display campaign
  2. Click on the Display Network tab
  3. Click on the red +exclusions button under the Campaign Exclusions section
  4. Click on the Add Campaign Exclusions drop down menu and select Placements
  5. Enter adsenseformobileapps.com in the Placements box and click Add placements
  6. Click Save

Let us know if you have any questions about this or need any other help with your display campaigns.
-Allegra

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Carissa,

I know you're not asking this for yourself and I don't see any info from Allegra but my hunch would suggest this would be regarding GDN category exclusions...perhpas?

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Hannah (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Community,

Follow these steps to stop your display ads showing on mobile apps:

1. Click into your display campaign
  2. Click on the Display Network tab
  3. Click on the red +exclusions button under the Campaign Exclusions section
  4. Click on the Add Campaign Exclusions drop down menu and select Placements
  5. Enter adsenseformobileapps.com in the Placements box and click Add placements
  6. Click Save

Let us know if you have any questions about this or need any other help with your display campaigns.
-Allegra

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for this fix,

I had excluded Site Category Options: In-game previous but found I was getting placements like Mobile App: Ice Cream Maker- Cooking games (Google Play), by 6677g.com ?!

Hopefully this Campaigns Placement Exclusions of adsenseformobileapps.com will work!

- Matt

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
This is only applicable on GDP noh? not for ads appearing in Google Search network mobile ads right?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nisal,
We can show our ads on mobile apps through Display Network Only. One can not search something on Google and find search result on the app he is currently working on. Hope this answers your query.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi All,

I had used this solution for negating mobile apps a couple of months back but found that we were still showing our ads on Mobile Apps. Any reasons why this would have not worked for my campaigns?

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

For "Display Network - All features" campaigns, you can exclude specific apps in the Shared library, under campaign exclusions. For those types of exclusions, the format is "adsenseformobileapps.com/" followed by the app ID for iOS apps, or the package name for Android apps. For example:

• To exclude the iOS LabPixies LineUp 2 app, you’d enter adsenseformobileapps.com/1-476954712.
  • To exclude the Android LabPixies ColorDrips game app, you’d enteradsenseformobileapps.com/com.labpixies.colordrips.

For Display Network campaigns that specifically target the Google AdMob network of apps, you can add individual mobile apps as ad group or campaign placement exclusions:

• "Display Network only - Mobile app installs"
  • "Display Network only - Ads in mobile apps"
  • "Display Network only - Mobile app engagement"

To exclude individual apps in one of these campaign types, follow steps 1-3 above to exclude specific placements. Once you've selected Placements under "Ad group exclusions" or "Campaign exclusions", follow the steps below:

1. Next to "Mobile app categories," click Search all apps.
  2. Enter your placement exclusions in one of the formats shown below, or type the name of the app into the search bar, and click Search.
    • iPhone: To exclude iPhone apps, format your placement exclusion with “mobileapp::1-” followed by the iOS appstore ID which is the series of digits in the App store URL identified. For example, to exclude the LabPixies LineUp 2 app, you’d enter mobileapp::1-476954712.
    • Android apps: To exclude Android apps, format your placement exclusion with “mobileapp::2-” followed by the Android app package name which is the last part of the Google Play URL after the “=” symbol. For example, to exclude the LabPixies ColorDrips game app you’d enter mobileapp::2-com.labpixies.colordrips.
  3. Select the app you'd like to exclude from your targeting, and click the box to add it to your placement exclusions.
  4. Click Close and Save.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What if i only want to exclude some categories of mobile apps but leave others? For example if i want to exclude games but leave News and Social apps in. Is there any workarounds for that or is it an all or nothing situation?

How do I exclude mobile apps from AdWords display network campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Allegra,

Despite of doing the above procedure before last couple weeks, I am still seeing the the traffic from unwanted apps & games. Please give a proper solution. Our budget is getting wasted due to this.