AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do I exclude locations within a radius?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want a certain campaign to be visible to all people in the UK except those in Cumbria. A lot of my internet business comes from businesses based in or moving into Cumbria from, locations outside of Cumbria, because these people rely on the internet to find a photographer as opposed to asking around for recommendations. So I wanted to create a campaign specifically aimed at these people, people searching for 'Cumbria photographer' who aren't in Cumbria themselves.

However Cumbria doesn't exist as a location in Adwords, the closest I can come to replicating Cumbria is to specify a 40 mile radius around Thirlmere, however my problem is, that while if I find a specific location I have the option to exclude it from my target area, there doesn't seem to be a way to exclude a radius from my target area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: How do I exclude locations within a radius?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello wmphoto-co-uk,

Rather than try to exclude locations by a radius why not use the region / area names instead? It might seem like a lengthy task but once completed once you won't have to touch it again unless you want to open your ads to new areas. So you would basically exclude all regions within the radius you have around Thirlmere apart from Cumbria.

Would that work for you?

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello wmphoto-co-uk,

Rather than try to exclude locations by a radius why not use the region / area names instead? It might seem like a lengthy task but once completed once you won't have to touch it again unless you want to open your ads to new areas. So you would basically exclude all regions within the radius you have around Thirlmere apart from Cumbria.

Would that work for you?

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

You cannot exclude by radius (in german Google Adwords interface).

But I agree with ScottyD.

But even if you could, I would not trust it too much. Google suggest you certain location options that IT CAN DETECT. So you could say, that what Google cannot detect you cannot exclude for sure.

I would go with excluding by using the search option.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Wmphoto-co-uk,

Welcome to the Community!

As ScottyD and ArneTR mentioned, it is not possible to exclude by radius so I would also recommend excluding by location/area names. If it is difficult to exclude such a small location so you may want to specfically target certain locations. 

If you target certain locations, you can then edit your Advanced Location options. In Advanced Location options I would recommend only targeting 'people in my targeted location'. From what I gather from your post, you want to target people moving to Cumbria so there is no need to target 'people searching for or viewing pages' about targeted locations. 

More information about Advanced Location options can be found in the following article:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722038

I hope this helps!

Rachel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There are no regions within Cumbria, there are a few cities but selecting these still leaves the majority of Cumbria unselected... instead what I have done is created a target area consisting of Scotland, Wales, a 150 mile radius around Peterborough, a 150 mile radius around Plymouth and a 40 mile radius around Tynemouth. The resultant area seems looks to cover the whole of Great Britain except Cumbria.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, what it is, is that I already have other campaigns which target Cumbria, using a radius, as that is where I do my business.

However I'm noticing nearly all my clients and others who show interest are from outside the county but need a photographer inside it. For example a large business with headquarters in a major city, or a small business moving here from elsewhere.

I think this is because photography is largely dependent on having recommendations and being known locally, which I'm not as I'm new, but these 'inbound' Customers have no recommendations they are relying more on Google to find photographers.

So I have this campaign containing ads tailored towards these people which I specifically want to avoid showing to people in Cumbria.