AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do I disable showing ads for tablets in enhanced campaigns.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You can only decrase bids for mobil to 100% I need to crease for tablets as well. Why? I sell PC software so...

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I disable showing ads for tablets in enhanced campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi TommyDK and welcome to the forum.  You cannot choose between Desktop and Tablet devices in Enhanced Campaigns (on the Search network).  

I would say that I'd question your decision not to target them.  I'm a PC user (I'm using one to type this) but I also own a tablet (a Nexus 7).  When I'm using the tablet I don't stop being a PC owner and I don't stop being interested in PC software.  In fact, since I use the tablet mostly when I'm relaxing/not working, it is the tablet I use more often for research rather than the desktop.  In other words it is very likely that I'd use the tablet to search for software I'm going to use on my PC.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

While I will agree to some degree, there's still a huge difference between search om PC and then immediately download/try/buy... Or searching on a tablet and then e.g. *a day later* download/try...?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the exact same problem. I also sell PC software and showing ads on tablets is a waste of money for me. Yes people may search for PC software on their iPad or Android tablet but then they are not going to be able to download it instantly on their tablets. People are going to perform the same search afterwards on their PC as well. So I will pay twice for the same user. And I have seen CPC is higher on tablets than pc.

I think Google is forcing advertisers to advertise on tablets and mobile devices by taking away the ability to target what devices we want to display our ads on.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@yashg, well actually you can decide not to advertise on mobile phones so you're not being forced there.

Have either of you actually tested the results of advertising on tablets?  Although I do agree there's a possibility that you'll receive two clicks from the same user (once on their tablet, then once on their desktop), that's still a sort of "assisted conversion" and you'd need to look at the ROI (Return on Investment) before making any judgements.  There's no guarantee that the person who saw your Ad on the tablet would ever have seen it on the desktop and tablets can have quite different CTR/Conversion figures from other devices.

I'd also probably look to detect tablet visits to my site (relatively simple) then present a "tablet friendly" page.  Perhaps you could have an option to send a download link by email (so the visitor could email themselves with a link they could open on their desktop, preventing that second click).

I admit that if it were me, I'd like to run my tablet Campaign separate from my desktop one but we have to work with what we have and I don't think it's as dim a picture as painted.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There is no doubt without any research needing to be done that my users want an instant download and will probably search again on the desktop to find my competition or not download my trial. Everyone knows that you eat the potato while its still hot.  Some of my customers are getting confused and downloading my desktop on their tablet. Not everyone is as smart as you Cobnut they will not be able to differentiate between tablet applications, web apps, or desktop apps.

Just a hint to PC software makers.  Get in tune and start making a mobile versions of your desktop app.  First of all its a new fresh market you can tap into and also you can always write your own code on your website to variate how your user will begin exposure to your "Solution" versus your application.  Its inevitable that people research on their tablet.  So what we do is get people to trial on their phone (not really what some people want because they want their desktop application). But then again they are using a tablet and that adjustment takes a bit of time to get used to when you put so much sweat equity into your desktop application.

Google wants to secure their advertising revenue and make sure you advertise on tablets as that is becoming the market of the future.  They can't make any money if advertisers want to stick to Desktop Ads and everyone has a tablet. It helps them in two ways.  One they are pushing for people like you and I to write apps because you can't run exe files but you can run apks. So go with the flow and stop fighting these beasts (Microsoft and Google) just ride the wave and make sure you give them a cut of your advertising and now your actual sales. Slice me once then dice me twice.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are in the similar issue. Click share of Tablets is more than 16%. We have reduced the bids on Mobiles by 100%. But to surprise us, despite having 16% click share 0% conversion rate on Tablets.... Google should have facility to adjust bids for this. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have same problem but bigger effect . from 615 clicks I got 568 from tablets (92%) and 18 from Desktop (3%) and 29 from Mobile devices (5%) for sure converting was 0% .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to Google Adwords an option to decide whether you want to display advertising as a tablet or desktop. As well as this possibility is provided for Mobile ("Campaign / Setting / Devices / Bid adj. / Mobile row / -100%").

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!