AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do I create and target specific ads when the keywords overlap?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For example, I want to create ads for two keywords groups.

1. "spanish curriculum"

2. "elementary spanish curriculum" and "spanish curriculum for elementary"

I want to have a broader range of ads for the first group and a more narrow group of ads for the second.

More specifically, whenever someone searches for "elementary spanish curriculum" or "spanish curriculum for elementary" I want my ads with the words elementary, spanish, curriculum to appear BUT when they only search for "spanish curriculum" I want the ads associate with that group to appear.

Will the overlap result in duplicate keywords and competing ads?

Should I simply add -elementary to the "spanish curriculum" group and then create the second group as a separate keyword group?

Thanks,

Aaron

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I create and target specific ads when the keywords overlap?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Aaron,

First thing, make your keywords BMM. Then add a negative to the non-elementary ad group.

AdGroup #1 (spanish curriculum)
Keywords:
+spanish +curriculum
Negative keyword:
-elementary

AdGroup #2 (elementary spanish curriculum
Keywords:
+elementary +spanish +curriculum
+spanish +curriculum for +elementary

In the second group, both keywords are roughly equivalent and you may not need both.

After your campaign has been running for a little bit, run a search terms report on each ad group. Add keywords that perform well (in volume) as phrase and/or exact match. For queries that did not perform well, consider adding negative keywords and be mindful of the match types of these negative.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords