AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do I create and target specific ads when the keywords overlap?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For example, I want to create ads for two keywords groups.

1. "spanish curriculum"

2. "elementary spanish curriculum" and "spanish curriculum for elementary"

I want to have a broader range of ads for the first group and a more narrow group of ads for the second.

More specifically, whenever someone searches for "elementary spanish curriculum" or "spanish curriculum for elementary" I want my ads with the words elementary, spanish, curriculum to appear BUT when they only search for "spanish curriculum" I want the ads associate with that group to appear.

Will the overlap result in duplicate keywords and competing ads?

Should I simply add -elementary to the "spanish curriculum" group and then create the second group as a separate keyword group?

Thanks,

Aaron

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I create and target specific ads when the keywords overlap?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Aaron,

First thing, make your keywords BMM. Then add a negative to the non-elementary ad group.

AdGroup #1 (spanish curriculum)
Keywords:
+spanish +curriculum
Negative keyword:
-elementary

AdGroup #2 (elementary spanish curriculum
Keywords:
+elementary +spanish +curriculum
+spanish +curriculum for +elementary

In the second group, both keywords are roughly equivalent and you may not need both.

After your campaign has been running for a little bit, run a search terms report on each ad group. Add keywords that perform well (in volume) as phrase and/or exact match. For queries that did not perform well, consider adding negative keywords and be mindful of the match types of these negative.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords