AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do I change the language of a Google Ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Could you please assist with the followint issue:

- I am trying to create a Google Ad and the only language option I have available is German. I am based in Switzerland but I want the add to run in English or French. I have set this as languages in the Account Preferences - Language and Input Tools but still I don't have them as an option when I try to create an ad.

Any advice on how to do this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jennifer B,

Language targeting is set at the campaign level, not ad level, so you would want to create a new/separate campaign for each language your ads will be created in and targeted to. If you do not do this, your ads will appear is regions that cannot understand your ads, which is not ideal or effective for you, your prospective customers, or AdWords.

1. Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
  2. Click the Campaigns tab.
  3. Click the name of the campaign you wish to edit to open your campaign settings.
  4. Click the Settings tab.
  5. Next to "Languages", click Edit.
    Edit languages

6. Select your target language(s). In our example, we've selected only English.
    Edit locations

7. Click Save.

If you need more help, please just let us know.

Kind Regards,

James

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

If you set the language targeting of the campaign to French, or English (As James said, you will need one language per campaign), then your ads will only target users who set their browsers to that language. Regardless of what language you are using for your AdWords UI.

I think you might have set your UI language to French or English, but the campaign settings are still for German? The account settings > preferences are for you, and the language you want the interface to be in. The campaign settings are for the advertising, and what languages you want to target.

If, for example, there are multiple users for the account, each user can choose which language they want the UI to display. That doesn't change any of the campaign settings, or the UI language preferences for any other users.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks, @tomhalejr, for adding that great point.

Kind Regards,

James