AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How do I analyze AdWords ad copy in Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have different ads from different ad groups and want to analyze them using Google Analytics in order to find the best performing ad. Problem is that all the ads of one ad group have the same name in Analytics and I can't differentiate between them, so I dont know which ad of a particular ad group is used.

Can somebody help me with that? (Sorry about the confusing explanation...)

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Antonia M
September 2015

Re: How do I analyze AdWords ad copy in Google Analytics?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Antonia M,

Regarding "Problem is that all the ads of one ad group have the same name in Analytics and I can't differentiate between them, so I dont know which ad of a particular ad group is used."

As a third opinion on how this problem can be solved : Analytics shows only the first line in an Ad and if you have the same headline for multiple Ads in the same Ad group, separating their individual performance requires a few extra steps.

1) In the AdWords interface , the Ads tab, follow these steps to enable the custom column Ad ID :

column-Ad-ID.png

2) In Analytics, navigate to Aquisition / AdWords / AdWords Keywords and select primary dimension "Ad content" to the right of "Keywords" like in the picture below. Then it is just a problem of setting the secondary dimension to either "Advertising/ Ad group" or "Advertising / AdWords Creative ID" , in order to see on one column the headline of the Ad and on the second column the AdGroup of the Ad or the Ad ID.

adwords-creative-ID.png

3) Then on the other columns you can start selecting what performance metrics you want to see, Goal completions, Visit duration, etc

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Antonia,

Thank you for your posting. You may want to try using the Create a Custom Report feature in Analytics to rename the different ads. Here's a link to the Create a Custom Report page. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1151300 Please let me know if that helps.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I'm not sure if this'll actually help, but it's an easy workaround I've used when posting on blogs - and that is to use different hashtags (the things you use for anchor links in html). On my site it doesn't seem to mind that there's no actual anchor available, yet my server picks it up as does my Statcounter.

You'd need to have something like http://yoursite.com/yourpage#yourhashtag

One of the experts is now going to come along and tell me you can't do this in Adwords ... it's still an idea that might work for you. However, as JohnPaul points out using Google Analytics is as good an idea as any - I just find it a bit of a leviathan; Adwords is bad enough. Which of course is why I'm here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Antonia M
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Antonia M,

Regarding "Problem is that all the ads of one ad group have the same name in Analytics and I can't differentiate between them, so I dont know which ad of a particular ad group is used."

As a third opinion on how this problem can be solved : Analytics shows only the first line in an Ad and if you have the same headline for multiple Ads in the same Ad group, separating their individual performance requires a few extra steps.

1) In the AdWords interface , the Ads tab, follow these steps to enable the custom column Ad ID :

column-Ad-ID.png

2) In Analytics, navigate to Aquisition / AdWords / AdWords Keywords and select primary dimension "Ad content" to the right of "Keywords" like in the picture below. Then it is just a problem of setting the secondary dimension to either "Advertising/ Ad group" or "Advertising / AdWords Creative ID" , in order to see on one column the headline of the Ad and on the second column the AdGroup of the Ad or the Ad ID.

adwords-creative-ID.png

3) Then on the other columns you can start selecting what performance metrics you want to see, Goal completions, Visit duration, etc