AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How can a 25% ctr be below average?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just wondering. 

Thanks in advance.

Re: How can a 25% ctr be below average?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
I think following quote will help you understand what Google actually mean by expected CTR:

"This expected clickthrough rate is a prediction, so it's different from the actual clickthrough rates shown in the "CTR" column of your account. Unlike the "CTR" column, this status considers how this keyword performs both within your account and across all other advertisers' accounts. This status has also been adjusted to eliminate the influence of ad position and other factors that affect visibility, such as extensions."
Read more about CTR QS here : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1659696?hl=en

Is the keyword in question is a brand keyword?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Quixotic,

Have you checked the bounce rate of that particular keyword in Analytics? Do you think that particular keyword is converting for you? Is it creating any kind of audience engagement on your page? Even in my account, I have seen that sometimes despite good actual CTR, the expected CTR is shown as below average.

I hope this helps.

Kapil M

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Quixotic ,

If such a thing would happen to one of my keywords I would ask myself the following :

1) If the CTR of 25% coming from a very low number of impressions such as 10 clicks from 40 impressions ? 

If so it could be irelevant, I would wait for more impressions.

2) What is the Expected CTR ? I found this piece of information ( watch from second 0:27 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGe848L9aqw

This video explains how the Expected CTR is relative to the ad position, meaning that the Expected CTR is a lot higher for an Ad which appears most often in the top 3 positions than for an Ad appearing most often in positions 7-8 for example.

If I have many impressions and still a CTR of 25% but the "Expected CTR" indicates "below average, it means that for my Ad position, other competitors have higher CTR.