AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How can Non-Profit account change bidding rate? (it's set to manual already)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We as a Non-Profit Organization get sponsored by Google for Adwords. My problem is, I would like to change the CPC rate but the system doesn't allow me to do it, it just allowes the default settings ($1.00).

I already set the bidding to manual (which is the default as well, I can't even change that). So I was wondering if I can even change the CPC rate with a non-profit account or if that's not possible. If it's possible, how?

Thanks for your help.

Silke

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BAGT
September 2015

Re: How can Non-Profit account change bidding rate? (it's set to manual already)

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

If your company is advertising via the Google Grants program, your bids are capped at a maximum $1.00 per click. That's part of the agreement you accepted when you decided to participate in the program.

As far as any other account--yes, bids can be changed to whatever you want. I would discourage you from setting up a second account for your organization, however. Google does not allow that kind of "double-serving" and you risk getting both of your accounts suspended.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BAGT
September 2015

Re: How can Non-Profit account change bidding rate? (it's set to manual already)

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

If your company is advertising via the Google Grants program, your bids are capped at a maximum $1.00 per click. That's part of the agreement you accepted when you decided to participate in the program.

As far as any other account--yes, bids can be changed to whatever you want. I would discourage you from setting up a second account for your organization, however. Google does not allow that kind of "double-serving" and you risk getting both of your accounts suspended.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi BAGT,

Theresa is correct that the bids are capped at $1, so you will not be able to bid over that. However, you can bid less. At first this might not seem like a good strategy, after all Google is covering the cost so why not bid the max, but by lowering your bids below $1 you can increase the efficiencies of your Grant account and be able to generate more clicks with the budget.

Lowering your CPC bids is also a good strategy when using the different keyword match types where you would leave exact match at the max bid and then stepping down the bids for phrase and broad matched keywords.

Lastly, a little known secret is that you can have a paid account run in tandem with your grant account without penalty. But I do caution against trying to target the same keywords as the paid account will simply trump your grant account and defeat the purpose of having a grant to begin with. What I recommend to my clients is to use the paid account to run display ads and remarketing ads while reserving the grant account to target keywords. Display can be very effective for nonprofits to create awareness, branding and traffic.

Keep in mind that the two accounts are completely separate and that you will be billed for any traffic generated in the paid account. Your Google grant ONLY provides free advertising under the approved grant account.

If you are struggling with getting your ads to show at the $1 bid, I recommend taking a close look at your quality scores and working to increase those. This is critical for grantees since improved keyword quality scores will allow you to bid less for higher positions which can make all the difference with a $1 bid cap.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi All,

I just received notice that effective January 28th, there will be some changes to this policy and Grants accounts will now be allowed to bid up to $2.00.  It also appears that this change will also place Grants ads below those of full paying advertisers.

Here is a snippet of the email I received.

We are writing to let you know about a few changes to the Google Grants program.

As part of our ongoing efforts to grow our advertising program for nonprofits, we are making two changes to the Grants program. First, as of January 28, 2013, Google Grantees may bid up to $2.00 USD on keywords. This is an increase from the previous CPC bid cap of $1.00 USD and may allow your ads to enter auctions previously unavailable at the $1.00 bid cap. Second, to balance the interests of businesses who pay to advertise on Google search, your ads will now appear below the ads of traditional AdWords advertisers.

To take advantage of the raised $2.00 CPC bid cap, log into your Google Grants AdWords account and edit the CPC of keywords that you would like to bid more on. Learn how to edit your keyword maximum CPC bids.

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yep... this is going to make things interesting.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Excellent info, PPCBossman, and thank you for sharing!

However, I did want to mention that RobertCoat's initial advice on bidding is still a very good strategy for a Google Grants participant.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*