AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How can I disable automatic placements from my Display Network?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just want to advertise on a select group of sites with my display ads. How can I disable the automatic placements that are occurring? All the answers in the database are dated. Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jennifer G
September 2015

Re: How can I disable automatic placements from my Display Network?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords will not add new sites to an ad group where you have selected as targeting some sites ( Placements).

If you are seeing new sites with impressions in your campaign there could be some reasons behind this :

1) You are looking at the Placements Tab at the Campaign level and you are seeing sites from all ad groups, even from ad groups which do not have Managed placements. If one of the ad groups has a contextual targeting like only keywords or only topics or topics+keywords, it will generate impressions on new sites every week.

2) For placements you have changed the default option from "Target and bid" to "Bid". To verify this , click on the green +Targeting button in that Ad Group, then on the pencil button in the "Placements" box (found on the right side) and look just above the "Close" button, you should have 2 options there, "Target and bid" (selected by default) and "Bid". 

Selecting only "Bid" for placements means you are no longer restricting targeting to those sites, you are only setting a bid level for them.

3) You could be using the Display Campaign Optimiser and in this situation, all the ad groups in the campaign will receive new targeting, new impressions on different sites which are predicted to provide conversions. To check this setting go to the "Setting tab" under your Display Campaign / Bidding and budget / Bid Strategy.

---------

If you want to keep the Display Campaign Optimiser turned on, you can simply add the new sites you do not want to the exclusion list, to prevent impressions on them.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In the Campaign , go to the Placements Tab and add your targeted websites there. After you add a handfull of sites all the other targeting methods (keywords, topoics) will be restricted to relevant pages of those sites.

Read more from here about Managed Placements :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471182

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, but my question is about disabling automatic placements. Very specifically, where do I go to do that?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
The concept of automatic placements means : google will select sites to display your Ads if your targeting is for example only keywords.

There is no disable or enable. In an AdGroup if your trageting does not include specific sites , Placements will be automatic if your targeting includes sites targeting is called "managed Placements".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply. I do have managed placements and only want managed. Is there a way to prevent Google from choosing additional placements.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jennifer G
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords will not add new sites to an ad group where you have selected as targeting some sites ( Placements).

If you are seeing new sites with impressions in your campaign there could be some reasons behind this :

1) You are looking at the Placements Tab at the Campaign level and you are seeing sites from all ad groups, even from ad groups which do not have Managed placements. If one of the ad groups has a contextual targeting like only keywords or only topics or topics+keywords, it will generate impressions on new sites every week.

2) For placements you have changed the default option from "Target and bid" to "Bid". To verify this , click on the green +Targeting button in that Ad Group, then on the pencil button in the "Placements" box (found on the right side) and look just above the "Close" button, you should have 2 options there, "Target and bid" (selected by default) and "Bid". 

Selecting only "Bid" for placements means you are no longer restricting targeting to those sites, you are only setting a bid level for them.

3) You could be using the Display Campaign Optimiser and in this situation, all the ad groups in the campaign will receive new targeting, new impressions on different sites which are predicted to provide conversions. To check this setting go to the "Setting tab" under your Display Campaign / Bidding and budget / Bid Strategy.

---------

If you want to keep the Display Campaign Optimiser turned on, you can simply add the new sites you do not want to the exclusion list, to prevent impressions on them.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks, Adrian B.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I understand after reading all the discussion in forums that now we dont have any option to stop auto display netwoks or i can say you cant edit the settings if you have already opt for display networks
or is there any help i can get from the experts?