AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How can I condition an ad to run, based on external data parameter?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Lets assume that on my website, I have some indication whether the product I sell is in stock or not.

I want Adwords to show my ad only when the products is in stock. It will be fair if the system can perform this check on an hourly basis.

I've read this is possible with the API, but I don't have any programming skills, and I'm not sure if I will be approved to use the API as I'm not some big agency.

Also, how much do you think it should cost to pay a developer to create such code?

However, such a service is still crucial for profitability, and for various products I consider stopping my ads unless I can have such a feature.

I saw there's also a tool called "Adwords scripts" and it mentions it has "External Data Integration", but under that tab I didn't see that it listed the option I'm looking for. Is it relevant?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: How can I condition an ad to run, based on external data parameter

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jay.
This is possible and common.
Most people will use scripts and the API works well but for both, you'll need to hire someone. It's not a trivial task so there's no 5-minute guides or quick tutorials. If you want to do something complicated, you'll need the skills or someone with the skills to do it. There's just no way around it.

Check out the "change bids based on weather conditions" AdWords script to give you an idea of what's involved.

The Google developer Experts directory is a good resource for finding and hiring talent.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jay,

Have you tried scheduled fetching of the feed?

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jay.
This is possible and common.
Most people will use scripts and the API works well but for both, you'll need to hire someone. It's not a trivial task so there's no 5-minute guides or quick tutorials. If you want to do something complicated, you'll need the skills or someone with the skills to do it. There's just no way around it.

Check out the "change bids based on weather conditions" AdWords script to give you an idea of what's involved.

The Google developer Experts directory is a good resource for finding and hiring talent.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I have no clue what this means, as I mentioned I'm not a programmer. which feed? fetching how?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Jay S,

I think Dave is talking about a Google Merchant Center data feed. In order to run a shopping campaign, you need a GMC account and you need to upload lists of your current offers. That list is called the "feed". The feed is "fetched" from your server according to a schedule set in the GMC interface.

The feed has a very specific format. You'll have to provide that format. It usually works best if the feed is created by a script at the time it is fetched. Along with other data, the feed indicates whether the item is in stock. Items marked out-of-stock won't be advertised.

To create the feed, you may be able to find a plug-in for your CMS that could create the feed. Otherwise, you'll need strong background in database operations and scripting with whatever language you have available. It doesn't sound like you have that, in which case I strongly recommend you hire someone to do this for you.

It sounds like you may have created campaigns and AdGroups for specific products. In that case, you'd be looking for a way to pause AdGroups advertising out-of-stock products. That you'd need to do with Scripts (or manually). Creating a script to look up external data is a non-trivial exercise. That means it's not easy. I don't do scripts, but it seems the scripts can only pull external data from Google Drive spreadsheets. I'm not sure about that. That would mean you need something on your end to update the spreadsheets hourly, and a script that runs hourly to retrieve that data. Again, I strongly recommend you hire someone with experience with AdWords Scripts to do this for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Jay,

Though I am not sure whether it will work or nor but what I was trying to say is how frequently the feed to be fetched, can be scheduled.

Please go through the link:
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1219255?hl=en

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

I think you mean Archit was talking about that, not Dave Smiley Happy
Thanks for the answers, I wasn't clear enough I guess - I am talking about regular adwords text ads, and not GMC (I don't use it).

Would be interesting if someone can confirm that:

"it seems the scripts can only pull external data from Google Drive spreadsheets. I'm not sure about that. That would mean you need something on your end to update the spreadsheets hourly, and a script that runs hourly to retrieve that data."

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Jay
That is correct. Data must come off a Google Spreadsheet. How you get the data onto that spreadsheet is open to your imagination, but to get it to AdWords using scripts, it must be there first.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Hi,

Its a confusion here. Almost every suggestion provided here is regarding PLA/shopping ads, for which a feed and merchant center account is required.
And suggestion were given in reference to that feed. And for that Dave is correct whatever he has suggested.

Regards

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi @Archit
No, Jay never mentioned shopping or GMC.