AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How are Product Ad Extensions triggered?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have product extension ads turned on in a campaign of mine, but for some reason (not sure why) they have never been triggered. I have however got site link extensions turned on, would these prevent the product extensions from being displayed?  

Anyway, my question is simple - how does google decide when to show the product extensions, what criteria needs to be met for these to show, do i need products in my merchant feed with titles that match the keyword being searched on? please help as i may as well turn these off if they never get shown!

thanks

Paul

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How are Product Ad Extensions triggered?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Paul and welcome,

Product extensions are added feature to your regular text ads where you can show the products along with some relevant info like price with your ad copies. This is helpful in bringing more relevant traffic to your website.

Did you check the Ad extensions tab to look for the performance of your product extensions?

Please make sure that you have correct feed configured along with mandatory attributes enable in your feed.

You can also follow the Tools and Analysis Tab and then go to Google Merchant Center to check important statistics involved.

I would suggest you to read this reference for more details: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404255

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did you check the Ad extensions tab to look for the performance of your product extensions?

- yes this is where i found that they were not displaying.

Please make sure that you have correct feed configured along with mandatory attributes enable in your feed.

- this has been double checked, but i will go back to ensure that the products have the correct mandatory fields attached.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The degree to which ad extensions match search queries is definitely a criteria used by the system when deciding whether to show them or not.

Also, if you've used sitelinks for long, they may have accrued some good CTR history and the system obviously prefers them.

Also, sitelinks are limited to 35 characters (25 in enhanced campaigns) and they are often more relevant than product titles, which are longer, especially if the sitelink contains the search query and the title either does not match it so closely or is longer.

I'm not going to rant about full-text matching algorithms and Levenshtein distances and everything, but here's my situation and how I dealt with it.

My competitor in that account was displaying ads with product extensions in #1. I had sitelinks, and the ads were mostly in  #2. I rewrote the ads (made them more appealing), turned off sitelinks, shortened them and made sure the product category (let's say plasma TVs) appeared in them, because plasma TVs was a very popular search terms.

I also created a keyword experiment, in which for 50% of the traffic I bid higher, to see if bidding higher had any effect on position and CTR.

Whithin 1-2 days it was obvious that ads with product extensions were performing better (as they automatically had prices in them as well), and that bidding higher was good. I stopped the experiment, applied the changes and snatched #1 from that competitor.

I don't know exactly which tactic worked, and in what proportion, which is why I listed them all.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have checked the fields attached to the products and all have the correct information included. And still, after a couple of months there is not a single impression attributed to the product extensions. Is this normal? i know that the links will be usurped by the site links as they accrue more traffic, but not a single impression, this does strike me as being slightly odd!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Turn off your sitelinks extensions and wait for about an hour, then try to search for your ads yourself, and see if the extensions trigger or not.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.