AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How To View Display Statistics Based On Site Category

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

Trying to optimize my remarketing campaign by excluding certain site categories. Is there a current way to view statistics based on site category?

Input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert O
September 2015

Re: How To View Display Statistics Based On Site Category

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Yes - twitter is awesome for this kind of thing!!

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 17.34.02.png

I find people incredibly generous with their time and their knowledge....

As for which categories I block I exclude the ones you mention and then often the juvenile, sexual, explicit ones - depends on the client - and I often exclude below the fold placements - which is something of a personal bugbear.

Some time ago Google talked about not charging on CPM for ads that are below the fold and are never seen in the veiport, but it seems that this is not something they can make good on because there is no way for them to tell if a user scrolls down or not. That would be OK - but it's not the same for CPC.

BTF ads count towards CTR even if a user hasn't seen the ad - and, of course, if they don't see it, they cannot click on it.... it's a tricky one. On the one hand if a user is engaged enough to be scrolling down the page, they are more engaged, which means they are likely to be of more interest to me - but if only one in every 1000 scrolls down I'm getting 1000 "impressions" for one ad view!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
How about developing segments within Analytics and running your analysis there...? Would that do what you're looking to do?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
As you can see in this article: http://www.ppchero.com/need-better-display-traffic-use-site-category-exclusions/

Image URL: http://ppchero.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Categories.png

It looks like there was a way to do it within an older version of AdWords?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Aaaah - now I understand... this can still be done....

Go to display network and click on the red targeting link....

Then select the campaign and ad group and select campaign exclusions..... you have the category exclusions there....

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 16.06.45.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 16.09.23.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 16.09.33.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I know how to enable or disable site categories. Can you "view statistics based on site category?".

Smiley Tongue

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
My bad - I hadn't fully understood your question. I cannot see a way to do this.... that does not mean that it cannot be done - perhaps others can contribute more...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
No worries. Appreciate the effort. It's weird because it looks like you used to be able to do it on an older version of AdWords.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I've sent a tweet to the author of the ppchero article - let's see if he can help. And yes - it does look as if the segmentation was available before. And that would be useful - I tend to blanket exclude certain categories, but I could be throwing ROI away...

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hmm the advantages of twitter users is more clear to me now than ever! Haha. Thanks Steve.

Which do you normally block? I ususally block Gambling, Error Pages, & Parked Domains.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert O
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Yes - twitter is awesome for this kind of thing!!

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 17.34.02.png

I find people incredibly generous with their time and their knowledge....

As for which categories I block I exclude the ones you mention and then often the juvenile, sexual, explicit ones - depends on the client - and I often exclude below the fold placements - which is something of a personal bugbear.

Some time ago Google talked about not charging on CPM for ads that are below the fold and are never seen in the veiport, but it seems that this is not something they can make good on because there is no way for them to tell if a user scrolls down or not. That would be OK - but it's not the same for CPC.

BTF ads count towards CTR even if a user hasn't seen the ad - and, of course, if they don't see it, they cannot click on it.... it's a tricky one. On the one hand if a user is engaged enough to be scrolling down the page, they are more engaged, which means they are likely to be of more interest to me - but if only one in every 1000 scrolls down I'm getting 1000 "impressions" for one ad view!