AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How Does Pop-Up windows effect quality score?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone, 

I have a client that has recently decided to change their website. I got a look at some of their new landing pages today and I noticed that as soon as you go onto the web-page, a window loads on top of the page. This window is meant to get conversions for them... It's not necessarily a "pop up window" more like a smaller webpage layered on top of the actual webpage. One the viewer either fills out their sign up form or decides not too, the window closes. 

How will this extra window effect their quality score? Can the autobot read the relvancy of the window?  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How Does Pop-Up windows effect quality score?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Anita,

Pop-up windows are not allowed under the Google Advertising Policy. Using these would result in the ads being disapproved or worst case scenario the URL/Account being suspended (only if ads are persitantly placed back in review without resolving the policy violation)

For your reference I have included the policy that you will need to review prior to attempting advertising.

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=1308145&topic=131086...

Regards

Luigi

Luigi Raw

Innovation is About Imagination

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

It's not exactly a pop up window. It's a smaller web-page that is overlayed on top of the larger webpage. 

It is not considered a pop up window. My question is will the auto-bot be able to read this smaller window for relvancy? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

So I could I assume this is the javascript style popup? It does not open a new window/tab but just overlays the website.

If this is the case and the pop-up does not block a user from immediately closing the window or navigating away from the site then it would be ok. It may have to be subject to Advertising Policy Review which is a 3-5 day review period. 

If you have a URL I should be able to issue further information but given your explanation there should be no issues.

Regards

Luigi

Luigi Raw

Innovation is About Imagination
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi AnitaKMudd,

Whether the AdsBot can read the smaller window depends on how it is being created. If you are using Javascript to create the "popup" and all the content, the bot will have a difficult time reading that content. If the content exists on the page as a hidden div or iFrame as html (and uses Javascript to show the hidden content), the bot will be able to read the content.

If you are using Ajax to deliver the content of the "pop-up", the bot will not be able to read that.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni
Even if AdsBot doesn't barf on the pop-up, a human reviewer might at some point. Just in case, I'd advise them to always keep an ad variation in each ad group that points to a landing page w/o the pseudo pop-up.

Also, it might be worth performing some user testing to see if the end users think it's a crappy experience. That's what matters in the end, anyway.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I think you are referring to interstitials, and not pop-ups.

The difference between the two is that an interstitial (say that fast five times) does not create a new instance of the browser window, nor does it use any system dialogue boxes. An interstitial is completely inside the browser and does not interefere with anything outside the browser window.

To my knowledge (and do correct me if I am wrong), interstitials are ok, and popups are not, according to AdWords policies.

Be aware that interstitials that are designed to look like or mimic system warnings are probably in the grey area. Dont try unless you are willing to risk getting a final warning on your account.

Unless there is some sort of adult content or gambling or something on the interstitial, I would say you can go ahead.

Best

Håvard

EDIT:

...and I completely forgot about the original question, which I would then rephrase as "How do interstitials affect quality score".

My guess is very little. Most of it is probably written in JS which the bots have a hard time understanding, and all the other content is there in the background, right? And I cant see that this is a Landing Page Quality policy violation either.

EDIT 2:

From the policy page:

"We consider a pop-up to be any window, regardless of content, that opens in addition to the original window."

I understand this as:

• Interstitials are OK because they do not open anything in addition to the original browser window.
  • Popups are not OK, they open something in addition to the original window.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey havardo,

this sounds logical to me, but I do not think that it is good enough Smiley Wink

I have also seen sites getting kicked out because of a Javascript popup (colorbox). So the definition of window of google does not seem to be the same as javascript (window.document)

However, I can give a very prominent example of a site that tries to catch users with exactly this marketig technique.

Search on google.de for "groupon". You will see that groupon does SHOW a JS-style popup for its organic search result (www.groupon.de)

If you click on their adwords link, which is the first result for me (www.groupon.de/Groupon), you will see that the do not show the popup, but make a special landing page.

This could be due to a conversion test, or many other reasons, but I think a main point is, that the do not want to take the risk of getting kicked for popup policy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, cause I have not checkd groupon's booking in other countries.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Arne,

Good point, but I cant check the ads you mentioned because I am not located within their targeted area.

www.groupon.de/Groupon might just be their visible URL as it looks like a 404 page to me.... though it is the first 404 page I have seen where you can sign up for something - they are trying to squeeze conversions out of everything!

Also, I don't think we should use other active ads as a way to assess the policies. If the approval process is automatic, then no algorithm is perfect. If the process is human, human beings are prone to error.

Does anyone have a confirmed case with an ad being disapproved for popups (check the disapproval email), while the site used an interstitial, and then contacted Google support for a clarification?

Best

Håvard

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Luigi, Does this policy apply only to landing pages? What about if the visitor has proceeded to read 2 or 3 pages after the landing page - is a pop up allowed there? What is the recommended way of showing visitors a second option if they leave the site without seeing the solution on offer?