AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How Adwords determines which Places listing to associate with an Ad?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a client who sells products online, but also has two shops, each within a different region within the UK (Cheltenham and Oxford). I have Google Places listings setup and active for each of these shops, and for each of the Adwords Campaigns, I've associated both of these using Location Extensions.

The Targeted Locations for all my campaigns are set to a radius of 15 miles around the post codes of each shop. Now with this setup, I assumed Adwords would show the relevant Places info alongside the Ads based on which location the person searching is closest to (based on their IP). However, my client contacted me today from his Oxford office, to inform me that the Cheltenham info was appearing alongside his Ads. I would of expected Adwords to have shown the Oxford Places info instead of Cheltenham.

Now I know that Adwords can't always determine the exact location of a visitor based on their IP, and I guess I could duplicate each campaign so that I have two versions of each campaign - one of targeting Cheltenham and the other for Oxford...but for obvious reasons I'd be keen to avoid this. Can anyone please shed some light on the above issue, and of any advised solutions?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How Adwords determines which Places listing to associate with an A

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

We have had many complaints that  location targeting in the UK is far from being perfect, and that radius  targeting is not always working;

The best person to answer,  is our UK based Top Contributor; Jon (aka  @Jon_Gritton ). I will ping him.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Christian G,

Location extensions are not triggered by the location of the user. I think separating the campaigns by geo-target is a good approach for you, even given the inaccuracies of UK geo-targeting.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Pete. That makes all makes logical sense, just seems silly to have to effectively duplicate all of my campaigns to workaround Adwords not being able to show the location details closest to the user's approx. IP - real shame.

Thanks for the suggestion, I guess I'll have to go down this route if there are no other options.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

OOhh...I see that Jon ( @Jon_Gritton ) has not posted.... I will ping him again;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
HI Christian G,

Google may consider this to be a privacy issue, although I'm sure why. When a page wants your location, generally it will need to ask permission from the user before it is provided. This could be why AdWords does not offer an option to include location as a variable in your ad copy.

It seems we can target by location, and that's not a privacy issue, But we can't display that location in the ad copy based on the user's location at the time.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Christian, sorry I missed this post earlier.

I think the problem here may simply be one of how you've set up the Campaigns.  Can I clarify your current situation?  You have one Campaign, which has two Location Targets, one for Oxford and one for Cheltenham, each with a fifteen mile radius around the city.  You've added two Location extensions to this Campaign from your Places listings for each shop?  How are these extensions added?  Are they just at the Campaign level or also specified at the Ad Level?

If you set up Location extensions only at the Campaign level, AdWords won't try to link a particular listing with a particular Ad so any Ad could show any Places listing - which would be why you're seeing your Cheltenham address alongside an Oxford Ad.  If you want to associate specific Places addresses with specific Ads then you'll need to set the Ad Level extension as well as the Campaign.  

More about Ad Level Extensions

If you've got a very large number of Ads you may find it easier to split the Campaign between locations and to be honest, I'd be inclined to do that anyway for better management of budgets, etc.

If I may, as an aside, I'd be targeting a much bigger radius than 15 miles for the stores.  I lived in Wallingford for many years which is about 14 miles south of the centre of Oxford and Oxford was really our closest major town and is linked by a very fast road and frequent buses.  You don't say what the stores sell but in that part of the country I think people would be prepared to travel much further than 15 miles for a specific product and with the inaccuracy of IP targeting in any case, you might be missing a lot of people - perhaps even the whole town of Wallingford.  If it were my Account, I'd probably be targeting at least 20 miles and would also target some specific towns like Henley, Newbury, Banbury, etc.  I'm not so familiar with the surroundings of Cheltenham but there you're very close to some major population centres like Bath so again I'd be inclined to consider including these in my locations for the high street stores.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jon. Thanks for the advice. You're correct on the setup I have. I have the locations setup at the Campaign level so I'll see how I get on with setting it up at the Ad Level - if this isn't so effective then I'll opt for campaigns by location.

Thanks for your advice too on the 15 mile radius. I recently refined this as an experiment, but given the inaccuracies with Adwords IP targeting, I'll likely open this up again.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Christian, I should just mention - if you haven't seen it already in the link I posted to the help file - that Google warns that using Ad Level Location Extensions can result in reduced impressions.  As usual, that warning is very vague so it could be anything from trivial to disastrous - I'd suggest trying the Ad Level extensions first but keep a close eye on them.

Jon 

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok thanks Jon I'll bear that in mind.