AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How AdWords chooses Ads for Keywords ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I set up new Ad Group and add several keywords into it. 

Then I created another Ad for the same Ad Group and I taught I can choose exact keywords for this Ad. But I guess it dosent work like this or does it? 

How does it work exactly? If I have list of keyword and I want to display different Ads for different keywords, then how can I do it? Or AdWords choses them randomly? 

Im new with AdWords and sure somebody has asked this question already, but I didnt found it. So it would be great if someone could help me out with this question. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How AdWords chooses Ads for Keywords ?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi hallop,

When you careate an AdGroup, you should try and keep all the keywords in the same theme so you can write ads specific to those keywords. AdWords will rotate the ads in this AdGroup and depending on which setting you have chosen start showing some more than others. In your campaign settings you can adjust these setting to rotate the ads evenly, optimize for clicks (CTR) or optimize for conversions.

If you want different ads showing for different keywords, you'll need to split out your AdGroups into more relevant AdGroups so you can target the ads to the keywords more precisely.

To get your ads showing evenly (when you have 2 or more ads per adgroup) you need to go into your campaign settings and  change the settings. (make sure your campaigns type is set to all features)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi hallop,

It will depend upon the kind of structure you actually follow.

As per the best practices, you should arrange your keywords in theme based ad groups, so that whenever some search query matches with that particular themed keywords, ad from that ad group is triggered. So you can go on and create the list of ad groups following this basic principle. Read this article for more details.

Also note onething important that from one Adwords account only one keyword per account is allowed to trigger an ad. So I would suggest you to avoid duplicate keywords in your campaign structure and create a unique list of keywords, group them in tightly theme based ad groups and then create specific ad copies around the theme of your ad group. Lastly, of course direct the user to specific destination URL on your website for high relevancy.

EDIT: @ Adam, you beat me Smiley Wink

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello hallop;

Quote:

• Then I created another Ad for the same Ad Group and I taught I can choose exact keywords for this Ad. But I guess it dosent work like this or does it? 

• How does it work exactly? If I have list of keyword and I want to display different Ads for different keywords, then how can I do it? Or AdWords choses them randomly? 

Check this article on this topic:

How similar keywords match to search terms

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’