AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

High performing Keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I do have an adgroup with approx 100 Keywords. 5 of the Keywords accrue for 95% of all cost and are therfore of high significance to me. Does it make sense to create 5 more adgroups, each for one  of the keywords to make it more relevant (own adtexts etc) and leave all the other 95 keywords in the original adgroup, while pausing the shifted keywords?  Thanks !

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: High performing Keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Semnews,

Actually 100 keywords are too much. It is always advisable to keep thightly themed adgroups with relevent adgroup level negative keyword. If you will bifurcate them in to more adgroups (thighly themed) and add relevant and focused ad text, chances of getting performence for rest 95 keywords will surely increase. Logically, keeping 100 keywords in single adgroup does not make sense as all 100 keywords will not be relevant to your adcopies.

I suggest you to keep thighly themed adgroups with focused adcopies and adgroup level negatives. This way u can keep track on your search query report and can keep relevancy between search query and keywords. Exact match impression share will also increase which can also give you good QS.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi semnews,

My Suggestion is to create a separate campaign for the top converting keywords with different ad group themes. This will help you to optimize better also you can change the Campaign delivery method from Standard to accelerate to get more Impressions and Clicks.

Hope this Helps

Raghu

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes - it would be better to create more AdGroups - there is a big chance that your keywords will get better Quality Score.

I think that 100~ keywords in one AdGroup is way too much, and I don't think you can get "insights" from your old AdGroup.

Check the search volume for the other 95 keywords in the Google AdWords Keyword Tool - because there is a chance that you're thinking of pausing good keywords only because they didn't preform well in that specific not very well targeted AdGroup.... 

Cheers,

Asaf

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

100 KWs in one ad group? ooops sorry to say but thats a lot.If I was you I would do the following

1. Split 100 KWs in about 20 adgroups with about 5 KWs each

2. Monitor the campaign and then probably remove the non performing KWs from each ad group

3. 95 KWs which are not performing right now but some of them might start to perform with more relevant ad copies and higher QS when you segragate them in smaller groups.

You can read more about optimizing camapign here

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2549129

Refer to section

Working with keywords

• Choose the right keywords: Your ad group's individual keywords help determine where your ads show on the Display Network. Most advertisers find it useful to have somewhere between 5 and 20 keywords per ad group. The keywords should relate closely to the ads in that ad group. The more closely related your keywords are to your ads and landing pages, the more likely it is that your ads will be targeted to the right audience. Learn more about creating the best keyword list.
Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thanks for your answer - but 5 kws per adgroup is mainly best practice for display but not search...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, You are right. For display network Google suggests to create 5 kwrds per ad groups also for search if there is theme based keywords set you can target the Ads based on the Keywords set. This will help us to improve the CTR%.

Raghu

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Semnews,

Actually 100 keywords are too much. It is always advisable to keep thightly themed adgroups with relevent adgroup level negative keyword. If you will bifurcate them in to more adgroups (thighly themed) and add relevant and focused ad text, chances of getting performence for rest 95 keywords will surely increase. Logically, keeping 100 keywords in single adgroup does not make sense as all 100 keywords will not be relevant to your adcopies.

I suggest you to keep thighly themed adgroups with focused adcopies and adgroup level negatives. This way u can keep track on your search query report and can keep relevancy between search query and keywords. Exact match impression share will also increase which can also give you good QS.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’