AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Hi, is there a way to adjust bids for unspecified geo location?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well the title says it all really Smiley Happy

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JulianaS (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Hi, is there a way to adjust bids for unspecified geo location?

Google Employee
# 15
Google Employee

Hi Alex,

It is not possible at this time to set a bid adjustment for unspecified geographic locations; however, the workaround suggested by stickleback is a feasible though work intensive option. 

Also, I did want to let you know I have gone ahead and passed along your feedback to the appropriate team in terms of having the ability to set adjustments for the regions which are unspecified in the Dimensions report as I can see how this could be of value. 

Juliana S. 

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alex, it's hard to know how you could adjust something that's unknown Smiley Wink

Can you give us some more details to go on?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
If we do geographical dimensional report, and look under US (or each other country actually) big chunk of clicks is coming from "unspecified" geo location (instead of states or cities), I can do bid adjustments for cities and states - but how can i adjust my bids for those "unspecified" geo locations.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Alex, I don't think you can, they will be instances where Google is unable to identify a specific location, I'd imagine.

Are you targeting specific countries or just using the default?

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

I'm targeting specific countries.

I can adjust bids for undetermined gender and undetermined age, I thought it makes sense i'll be able adjust bids for undetermined geo location. (pretty much the same scenario on a different dimension)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

No, you're right, it makes sense.  I don't know why it's not an option, I'll try and get a Google opinion on the subject.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
If you could update me on their answer it will be great,

Thanks Jon,

Alex

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
You could also work on a "base bid" for your overall locations and then use the bid multiplier to either raise or lower the bid for the areas you can identify - although this could be a very labor intensive task... wouldn't be so bad if it were just three or four states that needed adjustment - but if you're getting down to county and town level.....

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Do you mean using the unspecified as my base bid and adjusting everything but it?

Because i did think about it as last resort i don't think it's worth the hassle and the complications.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
That would be the workaround, yes - but I do appreciate that this might be more trouble than it's worth. You could just as easily set up two campaigns (or more) and use the geo targets to include/exclude between the two - although that's probably about the same amount of work - the good thing about this approach is that you would (at least!) be able to run ad scheduling more tightly in a country such as the US or Canada with different time zones....
It will depend upon how granular you want to be and how much of an impact the bid changes will have in one area compared with another....