AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Help getting beyond the basics...!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Been using adwords for about a year, at the most basic level.  We have definitely increased our leads dramatically, but I just know I'm not maximizing my budget and I find the help to be somewhat limited.  Couple specific questions:

1.  2 of my campaigns say "limited by budge" but when I go to see what it recommends, it says "your budget is ok, no changes recommended".  Huh?

2.  I added call extensions and site link extensions.  I can only get them to show up if I search on my cellphone.  Is that the only place they apply?  I would really like to have the sitelink extension show up on a standard google search.  Is there an extra charge for extensions?  I can't find a simple answer for that.

3.  OK, here's where I really need help - we are a local contractor so my campaign is targeting a specific metropolitan area.  I would like to raise my position when people within certain target cities search.  I notice my competitors have an ad for each of these towns (in other words the town name is in the first line of the ad).  All the other key words for us are the same, it's just a different specific town.  So is the way to do this to have multiple ads within the campaign?  ie:

Multiple ads:  "XYZ contractor of Mayberry..."  "XYZ contractor of Springfield..."  XyZ contractor of Gotham"...  with all else being the same?  It appears from my testing on google, if I type "contractor mayberry" the ones with the best positioning have Mayberry in the first line of that specific ad, so they clearly have one for each targeted town.  I hope that makes sense....

SO glad I found this forum!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Help getting beyond the basics...!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi lttx,

You have some very good questions!

1. "Limited by budget" simply means you have used you entire daily budget on several days out of the last week or so. It does not necessarily mean you should increase your budget, or that increasing your budget would get you more clicks. I usually look a Google recommendations as suggestions. It's up to you to decide whether those suggestions are good for your business.

2. I'm not real sure about call extensions, but I did find this page which explains if you did not get a Google forwarding number, call extensions will show only on mobile devices (phones in particular). This is for tracking purposes so Google can charge you for the call. Location extensions will usually only show if your ad is in a "Top" position (that is, not on the side). In some cases they will show when your ad is in a side position. The key is to make the link text relevant to your ad and keywords.

3. The best way to handle this is with multiple campaigns targeting the local areas with no overlapping boundaries of the targeted areas. So, create one campaign for "Mayberry", and target it to Mayberry and perhaps the surrounding area. Create another campaign for "Springfield" and a third one for "Gotham". Since the geographical areas do not overlap, you can use the same keywords and virtually the same ads in all campaigns. Leave the advanced targeting option on "Target using either physical location or search intent" if out-of-towners might look for your service within the area.

And, finally, keywords, adGroups and Campaigns. It is usual best to organize your keywords and ads in very tightly focused groups. Let's say you are a contractor and provide services for construction, plumbing and electric installation. If someone is looking for electric installation, you wouldn't want to show them an ad for general contracting. You would want to show them an ad that says you do electric installation. While it is best practice to organize your campaigns this way, they can quickly grow to a size that is difficult to analyse and manage. You'll need to strike a balance between the two that suits you and your business.

Again, I commend you for asking the right questions at the right time to try to improve your account performance! Please let us know if this helped.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One more question - you seem to have the ability to add almost limitless keywords.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a very broad, very long keyword list vs. a very tight, specific keyword list?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi lttx,

You have some very good questions!

1. "Limited by budget" simply means you have used you entire daily budget on several days out of the last week or so. It does not necessarily mean you should increase your budget, or that increasing your budget would get you more clicks. I usually look a Google recommendations as suggestions. It's up to you to decide whether those suggestions are good for your business.

2. I'm not real sure about call extensions, but I did find this page which explains if you did not get a Google forwarding number, call extensions will show only on mobile devices (phones in particular). This is for tracking purposes so Google can charge you for the call. Location extensions will usually only show if your ad is in a "Top" position (that is, not on the side). In some cases they will show when your ad is in a side position. The key is to make the link text relevant to your ad and keywords.

3. The best way to handle this is with multiple campaigns targeting the local areas with no overlapping boundaries of the targeted areas. So, create one campaign for "Mayberry", and target it to Mayberry and perhaps the surrounding area. Create another campaign for "Springfield" and a third one for "Gotham". Since the geographical areas do not overlap, you can use the same keywords and virtually the same ads in all campaigns. Leave the advanced targeting option on "Target using either physical location or search intent" if out-of-towners might look for your service within the area.

And, finally, keywords, adGroups and Campaigns. It is usual best to organize your keywords and ads in very tightly focused groups. Let's say you are a contractor and provide services for construction, plumbing and electric installation. If someone is looking for electric installation, you wouldn't want to show them an ad for general contracting. You would want to show them an ad that says you do electric installation. While it is best practice to organize your campaigns this way, they can quickly grow to a size that is difficult to analyse and manage. You'll need to strike a balance between the two that suits you and your business.

Again, I commend you for asking the right questions at the right time to try to improve your account performance! Please let us know if this helped.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank youuuuu!  Yeah, I already see my way won't work.  I did the ads the way I described, and now if you search "contractor gotham" you might get us as "contractor springfield" then I search "contractor mayberry" and I get "contractor gotham".  Yikes.  Gotta rearrange.  But, we are showing up more, so all good!  

I'm sure I will have a million more questions (and maybe someday be able to answer one!)

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Ittx,

Something your competitors could be employing and what you may want to look at yourself is Dynamic Keyword Insertion on a variation of your ad(s).

This could be why your search terms are showing up in certain ads.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Ittx,

I would not try using dynamic keyword insertion to accomplish you goals. Geo-targeting is the only reliable way to get this done.

Pete