AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Help, AdWords continues to display my ads even when the user includes a negative word.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords continues to display my ads even when the user includes a negative word.  Example: I have the word rent, rentals and rental in my negative list.  I am advertising real estate sales in let's say Boston and I don't want rentals.  The user types Boston rental homes.  My positive keywords would include Boston homes.  My ad is displayed even though rental is in the negative list.  How can I prevent this from occuring.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help, AdWords continues to display my ads even when the user includes a negative word.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi William,

That's a very good question. In fact, it's a common misbelief that negative keywords prevent all the terms containing it from showing. 

Since you did not specify the matching types I assume your keywords are all broad match. Now the negative broad match keyword -rental will only prevent the search term  from displaying the ad copy IN CASE it's positive counterpart rental triggers it to do so. In other words:

Keyword           Search Term                        Result

-rental              boston rental homes           prevention

the above is only true ON CONDITION that:

Keyword           Search Term                        Result

rental              boston rental homes            match

And the above condition is not necessarily true, Regarding the positive rental keyword, Google may find that the keyword is relevant or not relevant to the search term boston rental homes, whereby they match or don't. Need to add that relevance (and matching) depends on Google-wide historical CTR stats between the keyword and the search term.

Best,

Lakatos