AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Headline in Dynamic Search ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everybody.

I'm trying to use the Dynamic Search ads, but I'm not very happy with the headlines which are generated. Often, the headline corresponds to the customer query, but then some other words are added, resulting in a poor quality headline.

Es: the customer searches for "Wall Clocks" and the ad title becomes "Wall Clocks - Price", or "Wall Clocks - there are 10 products". 

Is there a way to limit the headline to the keywords used in the search query? 

Thanks!

Filippo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Filippo C
September 2015

Re: Headline in Dynamic Search ads

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Filippo,

Because the headline of your ad is dynamically created according the user search query and the content of your website. The only control you have over the headline is via the content of your website. There is no other way for you to change the headline or restrict it tojust the user query (as far as I know).

That being said, the additional information that is added to the ads is usually user relevant, so based roughly on their search history. So in the above example, that user may have been looking previously for clock prices, or doing a price comparison.

Adwords is all about quality, it is what everything is based on. They would not jeopardise quality as you assume without a valid reason. At the end of the day, they want the user to click your ad.

All that being said, the content of your specified page is the only control you have over the headline, so perhaps streamline that.

If the results are what you are not happy with remember that google does specifically say that DSA's are not for everyone so perhaps give their pages a read over and see why they may not be best for your site if this is the case. Examples include pages with daily deals/customisable products/certain 'small businesses' amongst others.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Filippo C
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Filippo,

Because the headline of your ad is dynamically created according the user search query and the content of your website. The only control you have over the headline is via the content of your website. There is no other way for you to change the headline or restrict it tojust the user query (as far as I know).

That being said, the additional information that is added to the ads is usually user relevant, so based roughly on their search history. So in the above example, that user may have been looking previously for clock prices, or doing a price comparison.

Adwords is all about quality, it is what everything is based on. They would not jeopardise quality as you assume without a valid reason. At the end of the day, they want the user to click your ad.

All that being said, the content of your specified page is the only control you have over the headline, so perhaps streamline that.

If the results are what you are not happy with remember that google does specifically say that DSA's are not for everyone so perhaps give their pages a read over and see why they may not be best for your site if this is the case. Examples include pages with daily deals/customisable products/certain 'small businesses' amongst others.

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Clynton.
You gave me a very good explanation, but I don't think that a title like "Wall Clocks - there are 10 products" is showing very high quality: it is probably just picking the first line of the landing page. If it is so, I agree that the content should be improved (good suggestion).

However, I will be able to say more after I have gathered more data such as CTR and bounce rate; then I will be able to judge the ad performance.

As far as the suitability of DSA, I've started them because they seem to be suitable to my site, exactly as described by Google Adwords guidelines. Therefore I will let them run a bit longer before considering if they meet my expectations or not.

Thanks again for your time.

Filippo

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
No problem Filippo.

Glad I could be of help, hope it goes well!