AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google paid traffic showing 100% bounce rate and 00.00.00

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I haven't used adwords properly for a few years and have just started a new campaign but have found that all the traffic coming from google adwords is showing on the analytics as 100% bounce rate and 00.00.00 time on site.

The titles on the ads are very specific, I'm using specific keywords and the site is a good quality site and very relevent to the keywords. I have only had 11 visitors from adwords so it is hardly a huge expence or valuable data to go off but I would expect someone to at least sit on the site for 1 second.

I am running search and also display networks and have had basically 50/50 coming from each.

The quality was much better a few years ago so was just seeing if there was possibly another explanation than the typical "bots" paranoia... I have had good results in the past so I know its not all me!   

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google paid traffic showing 100% bounce rate and 00.00.00

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Welcome Simonc!

I´d
1) Double check Analytics-code is on the landing page
2) Wait for some more visitors to draw conclusions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply David,

I forgot to mention that traffic from other sources has a 0% bounce rate and good time spent on the site.

I've changed the campaigns to only Google search, so hopefully I was only getting traffic from the third party searches and display networks before and the issue isn't Google itself.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Simonc, I'm with David's thinking on this (especially following your update).  If you're seeing 0% bounces from organic and 100% bounces from Adwords - even with limited data - it does sound like something is wrong somewhere.  Have you checked, double-checked and triple-checked your Destination URL(s)?  Does the Adwords landing page(s) have any kind of redirect where the final landing page may be missing the Analytics code?

If this doesn't help at all it may be that the data is actually accurate and that all your Adwords visits to date are 100% bounces.  Although you're confident your keywords and Ads are relevant, this may not seem to be the case for your visitors!

Have you checked the Search Terms report to see what actual search terms triggered the visits (if you have any data here)?  If all the clicks were from the Display network, bear in mind this can be very different from the search network.  If you're seeing good bounce figures from organic searches and not from Display network Adwords clicks, then that's a good reason to think about why that might be - and (as you've already done) consider not using the Display network.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cobnut and thanks for your thoughts on it all,

The URL's are definatly right so it can't be that and the search terms that are triggerig the clicks are relevent also.

Even if I had a landing page that wasn't relevent, surely visitors would register at least a second or two before leaving. 

The only two explanations I can think of is;

1) Its click bots, I find it hard to think its 100% click bots though and I do still believe Google's "don't be evil" belief.

2) The Analytic visitor timer has a delay of a few seconds and people are leaving within that delay time... All of them from only a specific source seems strange though.

I've changed the campaigns so it's only showing up on Google's search page so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Simonc,

"Even if I had a landing page that wasn't relevent, surely visitors would register at least a second or two before leaving. "

This just isn't how the system works. All bounces will have a time on page of 00:00:00. Analytics has no way to measure the time spent on a page if the user just closes the tab without clicking on an internal link.

It was a good idea to turn off the DN for this campagn. In general, you should run separate campaigns for search and display.

I'm going to give you one of my rules for setting up campaigns, and don't take this the wrong way! Here it is: "You are not normal." At least when comparing yourself to your customers, you are much closer to your product/service than your prospects. Because of that, what appears to be relevant to you does not necessarily appear to be relevant to your users. If your visits are all bounces, there a good chance visitors are not finding your offer relevant to the offer in your ad or to the search query used. I would trust the data, and 10 clicks just isn't enough data to make a decision.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords