AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google, Tear down the walls between AdWords and AW Express

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

One of my new clients had started out by themselves in AWX. When I added them to my MCC, I found I couldn't do anything with the Express campaigns and rebuilt them from scratch in AdWords.

This wall between AW and AWX is puzzling. Express has limited capabilities. If a Google customer starts out on Express and does things right, they will outgrow the service's capabilities. If Google were to make transitions between AW and AWX seamless, the customer could easily switch to regular AdWords and keep growing (and sending more revenue to Google).

There must be good reasons Google has kept the two services apart, but surely it can't hurt to install a small door between AdWords and AdWords Express.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Google, Tear down the walls between AdWords and AW Express

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi onbeta,

I can see your point about trying to make a seamless transition from one to the other but as AWX campaigns just use the AdWords infrastructure (a bit like the API I suppose) it would probably be difficult to do it easily.

AWX takes out so much of the standard setup to make it as easy as possible for the users with little to no experience. Just take the keywords for example, they are only category keyword sets taken from some sort of library. Just stepping from AWX to AdWords in terms of the UI is a big jump for new advertisers.

If you do have a client that AWX is working well for, why not copy it in editor which will give you pretty much all you need. The campaign, adgroups, keywords & location settings will be copied across and I think you'll just need to re-do the ad copy.

This way you have a controllable version of the AWX campaign.

Is this something that would help you?

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi onbeta,

I can see your point about trying to make a seamless transition from one to the other but as AWX campaigns just use the AdWords infrastructure (a bit like the API I suppose) it would probably be difficult to do it easily.

AWX takes out so much of the standard setup to make it as easy as possible for the users with little to no experience. Just take the keywords for example, they are only category keyword sets taken from some sort of library. Just stepping from AWX to AdWords in terms of the UI is a big jump for new advertisers.

If you do have a client that AWX is working well for, why not copy it in editor which will give you pretty much all you need. The campaign, adgroups, keywords & location settings will be copied across and I think you'll just need to re-do the ad copy.

This way you have a controllable version of the AWX campaign.

Is this something that would help you?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your response and the suggestion about Editor. I agree that Editor will help, but many advertisers are not aware of it or that it can be used as a solution to this problem. This board has many posts from members who come across the message "This campaign and its contents cannot be modified in AdWords" and then find themselves at a standstill.

By creating Express, Google has made it easy for inexperienced users to use AdWords and increase their revenues (and Google's). But a business should make it easy for a customer to transition from a basic service to an advanced one. It may be difficult to do in this case, but it's surely within Google's capability. "The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer." Smiley Wink