AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google Tag Manager Remarketing Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I have a quick question for settings on setting up remarketing in Google Tag Manager.

I have a non commerce site, just service based. I have a main list (built up in Adwords) that I want to add without segmentation.

Basically, I need to understand the following:

Data Layer Variable - What should be the setting?

If using Manually Specify, what do I add here?

Finally, what should the rule setting be for firing a tag?

Thanks,

Danny.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Tag Manager Remarketing Help

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Danny,
The easiest way to do this, and the way that I do it, is simply add the basic remarketing tag and have it fire on all pages.

Data layer, leave it at (not set).
That's literally all you have to do.

Do all the segmentation in the audiences tab in AdWords. It will make your life a lot easier.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Dave,

When I leave it to not set I get this "Data Layer Variable may not be blank when the Custom Parameters is configured to use the data layer."

When you say to fire on all pages what would the rule be?

I did try again by selecting Manually Specify and not adding the rule, this let me save but when I checked the tag in my Chrome plugin the remarketing code is not appearing :-(

Any thoughts?

Thanks for you swift reply :-)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Danny,
Sorry, my mistake, you have to select "Use data layer" and then select the "google_tag_params". I feel a little silly on that one. I didn't put in the parameters myself when checking for you so it didn't appear for me as an option Smiley Happy

Regarding the firing rule, you have to add the rule. create a new rule where the {{url}} CONTAINS Then enter your domain name in the text field.

Alternatively, use {{url}} REEX EXPRESSION and an asterix in the text field.

That should do it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Dave,

For some reason the "google_tag_params" is not listed from the drop down menu.

Let me give you a bit more background. I am using the Google Tag Manager plugin on Wordpress and set up by adding the container id (this is because I can't find a plugin to add code to the body; most are just header and footer). The plugin does say it is in beta and maybe causing problems with compatibility with the theme.

I am not a coder, do you have a suggestion for a workaround?

Thank you again kindly for your help :-)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I got the same issue while setting up my AdWords Remarketing tag.

You need to in Data Layer Variable select new macro. On the popup select Macro Type: Data Layer Variable. Name the macro google_tag_params and use Data Layer Variable Name "google_tag_params".

Sample:

gtm_macro.png

As for the rule:

Now we need a rule to tell gtm when to trigger the tag. Click Add Rule to Fire Tag. On popup select Create new rule.

Since we have added the tags to every page, Specify a rule that fires the tag on all pages of your domain. Create a rule with  {{url}}  and {{event}} contains gtm.dom. And save the rule.

Sample:

rule-remarketing-tag.jpg

Hope this might help.

Cheers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having problems with my remarketing tag to play nice with my Googe Analytics and Virtual Funnel tags.

I have tried creating the remarketing tag with the dataLayer google_tags_param and as Manuallly Specify with macros. I can verify the page source that the dataLayer variables are correct but if the remarketing tag fires then the Virtual Funnel tag will not.

Any known namespace collisions? Any examples on how to Manually Specify?

I tried for example:

dataLayer.push({'ecomm_prodid': ''});
dataLayer.push({'ecomm_pagetype': 'home'});
dataLayer.push({'ecomm_totalvalue': ''});

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My Adwords remarketing library was reporting a tag problem with the ecomm_totalvalue variable (love that feature).

It apparently does not like the array brakets [] that I used if there was only one item. I changed my code so that if there is only one item then it is enclosed with single quotes '' and if there is an array of items then it is contained with brackets and comma separated. ['','','']

For the ecom_totalvalue I would just provide the total cart value, not a list of each item values.

But then I check tag assistant which reports a critical error but no error message.

I've seen different tutorials that show different variable names. What is the format for ecomm_totalvalue. Should I go back to google_param_tags or still use Manually Specify?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So I decide to change the remarketing tag back to the google_tag_params type instead of the Manually Specified.

From the tag assistant, the critical error message disappeared but I noticed that I now have two instances of the dataLayer: the google_tags_param and the dataLayer. I also notice that the other GA tags will not fire correctly.

I'm back to square one!

Is it possible to get the remarketing google_param_tag to play nice with the Google Analytics tag, albeit not create another dataLayer?