AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google Swiffy and Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

In the past I have a lot of flash banner. Now I use swiffty to convert them to HTML5. The html file converted  have conection with external script "https://www.gstatic.com/swiffy/v7.3.0/runtime.js"

I need to know that will google Adword accept html converted ?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Swiffy and Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

This policy doc gives all the technical know how related to HTML5 ads. I would suggest reading it for more clarity:-

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Policy doc is severely lacking.

It does not discuss the requirements for using swiffy with adwords -

if you convert to html5 via swiffy - you will need to add the ad size meta tag, which is easy enough

the next hurdle would be how you cant link to external scripts - which swiffy needs with the runtime.js

runtime.js is way to big to try an include locally and keep under 150kb zipped - so still not able to upload a swiffy converted html5 banner to Adwords.

next hurdle will be the click tag.

i've been searching for days trying to find a solution - and the only thing i can find is that you're SOL on adwords - but will be ok with double click.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
you will need to add the following code before the "stage,start();":

stage.setFlashVars("clickTAG=http://www.example.com");

this will take care of the clickTag. don't forget to include:

<meta name="ad.size" content="width=728,height=90">

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you can still use Flash SWF. AdWords will convert it to HTML5 version.
---
Not all Flash ads can be converted to HTML5. To see whether your Flash ad will convert, check the ad in the ads table. If it says "Flash and HTML5 Ad" instead of just "Flash image ad," AdWords was able to successfully convert it.
---
source: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've talked to adwords reps - and no Adwords WILL NOT work with swiffy.

its confusing and frustrating since they're both google products - but they do not overlap (even though you think they should)

There is a chance adwords will convert your flash but there is no documentation on how or why -

we've given up and have had to remake all our banners in google web designer.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Scott,

Well Flash banners still can be uploaded to Google Platform directly. Once you upload the banners it will be automatically converted in to HTML5 banners. I usually create over 100 banners for week and so far 99% my banners converted successfully in AdWords platform.

If you have problems migrating to Google Web Designer or any other platform which create HTML5 ads you can keep using flash banners. Chance are almost all the banners will be converted, Once you log in to the campaign you should be able to see converted banners as well

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
May be we can use Swiffy to test if automatic AdWords conversion Flash>HTML5 will be successful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Nisal I've yet to have adwords auto convert a flashbanner and I've tried everything down to just a simple movie clip with a clicktag.

@Matej, maybe - using the swiffy online converter it lets you know if theres an error and that it cant be uploaded to adwords. however - like I said, i've tried with just a simple flashvideo and still got an "error" without a description of the error.

If only they would release some sort of spec.... flash version... if there could be nested movie clips... something!

I've worked directly with 2 different google adwords reps and they didn't have any answers for me.

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This older thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.