AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google Forwarding Number - Writing the number down

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I recently started using the new call forwarding numbers. I wanted to roll this out to all of my campaigns but I a major concern. What if a user writes down the phone number to call at a later date. So if the cookie and that tracking phone number expires. Would that number be recycled and given to a different company? 

For services that reply on repeat business this could cause a horrible user experience.  It would be great if all the numbers used for a business would say in a pool for them only. 

Thank you,
Chris

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris B
September 2015

Re: Google Forwarding Number - Writing the number down

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Chris, this is a great question and one that crops up whenever I suggest using Call Forwarding.

I think there's a few things to consider here:

#1 - How often do people write down numbers these days?  I know I never do; why would I when the Net is always a click away?  OK, I'm painting everyone with the same brush, but I do believe that writing numbers down is nowhere near as common as it used to be, and it's only likely to get less common.

#2 - What's the worst that can happen if a previous caller rings again and the number is no longer yours?  They ring the number, it's not you, what's the next thing they'll do?  Search for you on Google.  If your repeat customers really want to come back to you, they'll find you and will most likely assume they wrote the number down incorrectly.

So, the "risk" involved with call forwarding is about trying to calculate the number of customers who will repeat order and the percentage of those who will record the number in some way and the percentage of those who will use that recorded number, rather than searching again.  Then you have to compare whatever figures you come up with against the value of being able to tune your Account more effectively because of the call data you have.

There are things you can do to help.  You could include your "real" phone number prominently in order confirmation pages and emails - "Save our special direct order number now!".  You could use a different call extension for Keywords (within a special Group) that are more commonly used by customers likely to repeat.  For example, searches on your brand names/company name indicate a previous knowledge or desire to deal with you specifically so you could use your real number here but I'd still want to balance that use against the benefit of call tracking.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

The number will remain assigned to you for a few days,  After that, it gets recycled and could be used with other different account.

."It’s easy to remove Google forwarding numbers from your call extensions. You may continue, however, to receive redialled or manually dialled calls."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en-GB

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Chris, this is a great question and one that crops up whenever I suggest using Call Forwarding.

I think there's a few things to consider here:

#1 - How often do people write down numbers these days?  I know I never do; why would I when the Net is always a click away?  OK, I'm painting everyone with the same brush, but I do believe that writing numbers down is nowhere near as common as it used to be, and it's only likely to get less common.

#2 - What's the worst that can happen if a previous caller rings again and the number is no longer yours?  They ring the number, it's not you, what's the next thing they'll do?  Search for you on Google.  If your repeat customers really want to come back to you, they'll find you and will most likely assume they wrote the number down incorrectly.

So, the "risk" involved with call forwarding is about trying to calculate the number of customers who will repeat order and the percentage of those who will record the number in some way and the percentage of those who will use that recorded number, rather than searching again.  Then you have to compare whatever figures you come up with against the value of being able to tune your Account more effectively because of the call data you have.

There are things you can do to help.  You could include your "real" phone number prominently in order confirmation pages and emails - "Save our special direct order number now!".  You could use a different call extension for Keywords (within a special Group) that are more commonly used by customers likely to repeat.  For example, searches on your brand names/company name indicate a previous knowledge or desire to deal with you specifically so you could use your real number here but I'd still want to balance that use against the benefit of call tracking.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the great reply. We're a law firm and a fair amount of our clients are not very tech savvy, so the likelihood of them writing a number down is higher. I really like your "Real Number" suggestion and we'll try to implement that. thanks again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just learned that you can use a google forwarding number and check the Device Preference box for Mobile. This will result in the number not being shown, but rather it will be a click to call button on mobile devices. That way the person never sees the google forwarding number.

Of course this only works for mobile devices, but I think it's a reasonable solution in those cases.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
There are also 3rd party call tracking solutions which assign a number to your account for as long as you keep your account active. This is the solution we prefer with many clients.