AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google Display Network - How do you choose your keywords?

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Early this year, Google AdWords announced that Google Display Network will get a new tab for Keywords. Up until now, users could target Display Network through Search interface.  Now that our contextual engine targets on the keyword level like search, you can easily copy your top performing search campaigns onto the Display Network. I would like to know what was your experience so far? How do you choose your keywords? What imact it has on your campaign performance?

Share your real examples with all of us.

Zee
G+
1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zee
September 2015

Re: Google Display Network - How do you choose your keywords?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Zee,

When I set up a display network campaign I will always use a different structure to my search campaigns.

If you do a straight copy from your search campaign and select the display network, sometimes you can have too many keywords in each AdGroup to manage them effectively.

I will usually set it up with 3 types of AdGroups with related keywords in each one (there may be many adgroups for each type). Direct, Related & Audience.

I'll use my top performing keywords separated into the relevant direct adgroups and this is normally around 5-10 AdGroups with 10-15 keywords per AdGroup, but this depends on campaign size.

If you were selling baby supplies with a focus on strollers you it would be set up like the following

Direct - strollers, 3 wheel strollers, baby strollers, double stroller, twin stroller etc

Related - baby cot, baby carrier, baby supplies, baby car seats

Audience - new mums, crying baby tips, baby healthcare, baby forums

By separating these you can have separate bidding strategies to help maximise your performance. Direct will normally be your best performing AdGroups (probably have the highest bids), then related & audience.

After I have been running the campaign for a while I will pause off certain keywords to see how this can influence the placements my ads are appearing on and how my results change. Generally these will be high impression but low CTR and conversion keywords.

I've been having a lot more success with the display network recently and I think this comes down to having more control as well as the improvements the new contextual engine has made. 

Keep up the good work Google

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
@purefuzz - loving it. I've been lazy, and imported the keywords / structure from search. We should do it a bit better, and cover broader keywords.

I do change the ad copy, since display works different.

Also, I do 2 campaigns, one that is just focused on specific domains (e.g. gmail) with keyword targeting in there.

I've been finding that the CPA's on keyword targeted display campaigns are extremely good - sometimes better than search Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Zee,

When I set up a display network campaign I will always use a different structure to my search campaigns.

If you do a straight copy from your search campaign and select the display network, sometimes you can have too many keywords in each AdGroup to manage them effectively.

I will usually set it up with 3 types of AdGroups with related keywords in each one (there may be many adgroups for each type). Direct, Related & Audience.

I'll use my top performing keywords separated into the relevant direct adgroups and this is normally around 5-10 AdGroups with 10-15 keywords per AdGroup, but this depends on campaign size.

If you were selling baby supplies with a focus on strollers you it would be set up like the following

Direct - strollers, 3 wheel strollers, baby strollers, double stroller, twin stroller etc

Related - baby cot, baby carrier, baby supplies, baby car seats

Audience - new mums, crying baby tips, baby healthcare, baby forums

By separating these you can have separate bidding strategies to help maximise your performance. Direct will normally be your best performing AdGroups (probably have the highest bids), then related & audience.

After I have been running the campaign for a while I will pause off certain keywords to see how this can influence the placements my ads are appearing on and how my results change. Generally these will be high impression but low CTR and conversion keywords.

I've been having a lot more success with the display network recently and I think this comes down to having more control as well as the improvements the new contextual engine has made. 

Keep up the good work Google

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 3
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Purefuzz,

Thanks for sharing your way of structuring a display campaign. I like the idea of 3 types of ad groups: direct, related & audience to see which one will perform the best.

Good to know that you mastered the Display Network. Smiley Happy
Zee
G+
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
@purefuzz - loving it. I've been lazy, and imported the keywords / structure from search. We should do it a bit better, and cover broader keywords.

I do change the ad copy, since display works different.

Also, I do 2 campaigns, one that is just focused on specific domains (e.g. gmail) with keyword targeting in there.

I've been finding that the CPA's on keyword targeted display campaigns are extremely good - sometimes better than search Smiley Happy

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Thanks, David for sharing. I'm glad to hear that in your case the CPA is better then on search.
Zee
G+

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@david - thanks, I've found the exact same thing with the CPA bidding on the display network. I have seen a decrease of around 65% in a few accounts when I went with CPA on the display network so I'm getting similar results to you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Question: How do you choose your keywords?

Answer: This technique works on my end! I am using free website auditor and ranking tools like alexa.com to analyze the top performing keywords of my competitors in organic. This gives me a better chance of compounding those and test its viability in PPC.

More Power,
Loraine

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi All,

I too copy exactly search campaign and then work little to build display network campaign. For search I keep strictly tight adgroups but for display I merge adgroups & keep 25% less adgroups then search. I remove all phrase, exact and BMM keywords and keep only broad keywords in Display Network. Since, now we can see stats at keyword level I prefer to add DKI in text adcopy as I keep two campaigns one for Text and one for banner. I do not keep misspellings, plurals etc in my keyword list.  For Display campaign I go with two three word keywords only.

I too tested CPA bidding and also Experiments with bidding with display network & have seen better then search result. But I have always notice at some point for few weeks/days display campaign show a dropped down and then pick up the performance quickly. I am not sure but it happens with all of accounts. Few weeks/days in a year show me a drop down.

I don’t generally prefer using competitor’s keywords and branded keywords with Display campaign. So I remove those adgroups/campaigns as well which I use in search campaign.

One more thing I have notice whenever I use remarketing, My branded search campaign improved in terms of conversion. I think people having trend to when they see ads again n again, they type brand name in google search and then convert.

Thanks

Neha

@Zee: I am facing some issue in writing in the reply box. Is their some bug or error?

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 9
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
@LoraineQuiaoit and NehaGupta, thanks for sharing.

@Neha: Yes, we were aware of it and it should be fixed now. Please feel free to let me know via G+ or on a new thread if you experiencing the same issue.
Zee
G+