AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google Call Tracking Coming To Canada?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

For clients in the U.S. we are able to take advantage of free call extension call forwarding tracking. I was wondering if this feature is being rolled out to Canada any time soon.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Call Tracking Coming To Canada?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
I thought they rolled call forwarding call extensions out to all countries last year? Are you still not seeing the option to use call forwarding when you click the edit button for your call extensions?
Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Call extensions perhaps yes. Call forwarding is only an option for United States phone numbers.

"A Google forwarding phone number and use call reporting" is the option available to United States phone numbers, unfortunately not Canada though.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert O
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Robert,

Yes you're right about that one - Call extensions with Google forwarding phone numbers are only available for numbers based in Australia, France, Germany, Spain, the US, and the UK.

I looked into this for you and the Engineers have confirmed that they are working to make forwarding numbers available in other countries, but unfortunately they don't have a timeframe for when this will happen. 

Keep an eye on the Inside AdWords Blog and here on the Community for updates! 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rachel. I appreciate the effort.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Would it matter though?
US and Canada share the same tollfree numbers. We can, say, use a USA tollfree and forward to a Canadian number?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mark,

I have tried that with mixed success. It has worked for some clients, but I also had an issue where it would not forward properly for one client. In the end we've been using CallRail which I can't recommend highly enough.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the reply.
I had a feeling about this. Very annoying that they haven't allowed Canada in this.

Using third party call trackers tackles this for us up to 80%. Right now, we don't know which campaign/adgroup/ad supplied us with a call that was just viewed and manually dialed. The only thing we can do is pivot the call extension impressions with actual calls received without keyword data to find out the average conversion ratio. Cumbersome to say the least.

What are your reservations about CallRail? I used them a few months ago, and liked it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mark,

I am confused as to what you mean by " pivot the call extension impressions with actual calls received without keyword data to find out the average conversion ratio."

I work for a digital marketing agency and we have tried several different call tracking platforms.

CallRail in our opinion:

- Very easy to setup, especially through wordpress websites.
- Some of the lowest rates.
- Great phone support. No waiting to talk to a human.

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner
Oh, sorry for not elaborating further.
Some numbers on ads are just viewed by the user and they manually dial in. Apps like CallRail cannot track such clickless calls because they never come to the destination URL.

For example, with one of our accounts, this is the case. Because there was no click, we don't see the keyword/campaign data where the call came from. That leaves us with a massive amount of calls that were manually dialed in.

We can't optimize ofcourse, but at least we know the conversion ratio for such manual calls. The next step would be to buy more TFNs cuz that would soften the blow further.

Hope I'm clear.
Problem with CallRail is the cookie length is only as long as 7 days. For longer sales cycles, this is a strict problem and unfortunately they cannot edit this cookie length. I also found their support a little lacking - we consolidate all such support issues through email and not phone so we have a trackrecord of everything. Lastly, if the account isn't using too much, they follow the "talk to the sharks, not the shrimps" lol