AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Transaction Quantity - Integer to Decimal?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

When a visitor places an order on my site, the quantity of the items orders is fed as a decimal (this is how is shows up in the source code), but Google Analytics records this in the Transactions report as an Integer. How can I change this so that in Google Analytics, the Quanity is displayed as a decimal?

For example, if a customer orders 1.5 pounds of something, the javascript shows '1.25' in the source code. But in Google Analytics, this displays as a quanitity of 1.

This is especially problematic when a customer orders .25 pounds of something, and Google Analytics thinks this is zero, and doesn't record the item or order at all.

Is there any way to change to code, or a setting within Analytics, that would allow the quanitity in Analytics to be a decimal?

We are not on universal yet, and not using tag manager, but will be in the near future.

Thank you for your help,

Amanda

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics Transaction Quantity - Integer to Decimal?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Amanda T

It's an interesting scenario. Thanks for asking. 

Let's understand how it all works. Conversion - yes, that's what AdWords and Analytics counts in the first place. If you have a product listed on the site, no matter what's the value of it, if it sells once, the tracking would count it as one conversion. Why? Because it counts every transaction, and for this reason, it can't be in decimals. 

I would advise you to setup Conversion Value Tracking with AdWords. It will allow you to know the number of conversions you had, and also, the value of items you sold. 

Furthermore, switch to Universal Analytics and setup Enhanced e-commerce. It will give you insightful data. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Google Analytics Transaction Quantity - Integer to Decimal?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I should have specified that I am not looking to change the quantity, or number of transactions, but the quantity of product ordered, specifically for those items where you can order by the pound. A custom metric, perhaps?