AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords Search and Display Network - Local cup cake store wants to get started online.

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Google Display Network

Online Advertising

Google Search Network

Hi All, 

Bob: I'm a local cupcakes store and have stores in NewYork and Paris. I'd like to bring my business online. I have a website but would like to publicize my brand and business. Where should I start? Thanks for any help. Please ask me for more information if you need and I'm happy to share. 

Thanks,

Bob, new advertiser

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google AdWords Search and Display Network - How to get started online?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I would say the best place to start would be a geo targeted campaign one for both cities this can be done by zip code around each store. I would only recommend search to start Display is more for branding. I would do a retargeting campaign. What retargeting  also called remarketing is when a person visits your website they get what is called a cookie placed on their computer and when they go to a website that is in the google network your banner shows but it only shows to a person after they have visited your website and have expressed intrest in your product.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

When focusing on a global campaign, I like to set a separate landing page, in the local language ; for each location targeted.

The landing page text / copy should cater differently to locals in Paris and in New-York. (French / cuisine is not the same as a New-Yorker's taste...Smiley Surprised)

As for the Geo-targeting: within New-York, I would geo-target by zip codes - only in areas where stores can be found. Since in Paris, Geo-targeting by zip code (postal code) in not available, I would target the (whole) city. (Though, it will include areas where no branches are located. I don't think the radius targeting would work either in Paris.)

- Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Bob,

Good to see your around again Smiley Happy

Some of the great advices above.

For a local cupcake store business, I would first like to start with the basic terminology here. Separate campaign for New York and Paris because of many reasons. Few includes: time zone difference, different taste as Moshe also mentioned, different currency etc...

Separate landing page for both cities is a must as both cater to 2 different audiences based in different countries.

Keyword selection is very important to begin with. Brainstorming your ideas on a piece of paper or some spread sheet and then entering them into Google's Keyword Tool using location based custom settings (i.e. watch for separate trends in NY and Paris) would ideally be a good start.

I would also prefer to target language based campaign exclusively for French people only if the French language support landing page is something which you plan to create.

Ad Extensions are very important part of Google Network. So, to start with, go for the Location Extensions because doing that will help the online users to locate your store easily either in NY or Paris.

Sitelink extensions will help you provide more info to your users (in addition to destination URL) about what variety of cupcakes do you have, since how long you are into business (About Us), and how can they contact you (Contact Us) etc...

Once you set the ball rolling, you can also consider creating a separate Google Display Network Campaign. I would also encourage you to go for some eye catching Display Ads campaign since you are into cupcake business because this would help you build a strong brand in Google Display Network.

Last but the least, linking Adwords with Analytics is a must. To see what the users are actually doing after clicking your ad will help you take informed business decisions.

Hope this helps! 

Pankaj