AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords Automated Rules - Automate your AdWords account management

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi All,

Most of us would want to take a break from our daily jobs. Especially with any routine job, we wish we could find a genie to do it for us. 

For exampole, for AdWords users, it could be increasing the CPC bid by 10% when your ad is at position 3, increasing the bid by 20% when the ad position is 2 etc. The basic account management poses a challenge as most of us would want to monitor it on a daily basis.

But for this, AdWords does provide a genie in the form of 'Automated Rules'. 

Automated Rules lets you schedule automatic adjustments to your AdWords account based on criteria that you specify. You can set automated rules at the following levels within your campaign:

• Campaign level
  • Ad group level
  • Keyword level
  • Ad text level

This new feature is extremely powerful because it can automate your campaign management, which will save you time and improve your campaign's results.

Have you tried putting your AdWords account on auto-pilot using automated rules? 

Please share your experiences using automated rules.

Also let us know if you had any issues with automated rules. 

Thanks,

Mini

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mini-CM
September 2015

Re: Google AdWords Automated Rules - Automate your AdWords account management

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Mini,

I find these automated rules pretty interesting. I have been using them for few of my clients and I must say that by doing that, I don't have to login into the Adwords accounts especially during weekend.

I have used Automated Rules in the following ways:

1. Clients whose services are meant for week days and require less traffic during the weekend. I have scheduled the weekend budget changes rule wherein Budget is reduced by 20-30% for Sat and Sun and another rule increases the budget to normal values from Monday onwards till Friday. So, that makes my life easy because I get the email notification also for that rule.

2. Keywords which faces first page bid issues. I use them for many of my accounts where I monitor the bids and am aware of the fact that keywords will require first page bid issues on daily basis. So I have created rules with maximum percentage of increase in bids and the Genie (Automated Rules) does the rest. Of course, I have the email notification also and I can cross check in the Logs if I want to.

I am also planning to broaden my exposure for these rules and working on implementing other interesting features also in the coming time.

Thanks!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mini,

I have a query which may possibly be addressed by automated rules. So I am posting this here. Would really appreciate if you or anyone from the community could respond.

We see a significant daily fluctuation in performance of our campains. For example see the statistics of one of our campaign for GMAIL placement:

Date                     Clicks              Impressions         CTR            Conversions          CPA

Jul 11, 2012            68                   111,252             0.06%                10                   65

Jul 12, 2012            63                   116,448             0.05%                 3                   199

The clicks, impressions, CTR etc is quite uniform, but the conversions vary a lot resulting in huge variation in CPA.

While the average CPA and other metrics over a MONTH are fairly uniform and predictable, we are unable to understand the DAILY variations.

Is there any reason for this kind of variation in conversions? Everything is the same in the two dates mentioned. These dates are also mid week when there is no effect of holidays.

The only rationale for this variation appears to be variation in traffic quality (same 60 odd clicks on each day, but different quality of clicks). It seems somehow we get "bad quality traffic" on some days and "good quality traffic" on other days. In a display campaign focussed on gmail, there is no other variable that we can control to manage the traffic quality.

Is there any way to control this. Are there any automated rules that we can run to avoid the bad quality traffic leading to low conversions on specific days?

Thanks for your patience and help.

Cheers

am

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mini-CM
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Mini,

I find these automated rules pretty interesting. I have been using them for few of my clients and I must say that by doing that, I don't have to login into the Adwords accounts especially during weekend.

I have used Automated Rules in the following ways:

1. Clients whose services are meant for week days and require less traffic during the weekend. I have scheduled the weekend budget changes rule wherein Budget is reduced by 20-30% for Sat and Sun and another rule increases the budget to normal values from Monday onwards till Friday. So, that makes my life easy because I get the email notification also for that rule.

2. Keywords which faces first page bid issues. I use them for many of my accounts where I monitor the bids and am aware of the fact that keywords will require first page bid issues on daily basis. So I have created rules with maximum percentage of increase in bids and the Genie (Automated Rules) does the rest. Of course, I have the email notification also and I can cross check in the Logs if I want to.

I am also planning to broaden my exposure for these rules and working on implementing other interesting features also in the coming time.

Thanks!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I will try to make these rules. Thanks for sharing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Mini wrote:

Hi All,

Most of us would want to take a break from our daily jobs. Especially with any routine job, we wish we could find a genie to do it for us. 

For exampole, for AdWords users, it could be increasing the CPC bid by 10% when your ad is at position 3, increasing the bid by 20% when the ad position is 2 etc. The basic account management poses a challenge as most of us would want to monitor it on a daily basis.

But for this, AdWords does provide a genie in the form of 'Automated Rules'. 

Automated Rules lets you schedule automatic adjustments to your AdWords account based on criteria that you specify. You can set automated rules at the following levels within your campaign:

• Campaign level
  • Ad group level
  • Keyword level
  • Ad text level

This new feature is extremely powerful because it can automate your campaign management, which will save you time and improve your campaign's results.

Have you tried putting your AdWords account on auto-pilot using automated rules? 

Please share your experiences using automated rules.

Also let us know if you had any issues with automated rules. 

Thanks,

Mini

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Mini,

During the holiday season, the competition becomes fierce and we find it necessary to increase our max CPCs in order to maintain the impression share we are used to. While this negatively affects our margins, we find the increase in traffic and sales more than compensates for the increased cost per acquisition.

After the holiday season is over, we would like to restore our original bids. Automated rules is a great way to accomplish this task without having to remember to do so, and even while employees are home with their families enjoying the holiday.

However, we tried setting up an automated rule with our campaigns running Conversion Optimizer, and it seems that the rule does not work on Max CPA's. So when we tried to set a rule to run automatically on Dec. 24th to decrease bids by 10%, the preview message said "nothing will be changed if rule ran now".

Why doesn't Automated Rules work on Conversion Optimizer campaigns?

Thanks for all your input!

Re: Google AdWords Automated Rules - Automate your AdWords account man

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have also no answer why it says "Nothing would change if we ran the rules now " even if I increase the bid drastically .

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Automated rules is a great tool because you earn time which you can allocate it to other issues.

One of the uses is to send an email when an ad group acquires X number of clicks, in order to evaluate the ad creatives, and then I act accordingly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would you like to give more information ?

For example:

1. why did you set this rule?

2. what are the "Requirements" ?

3. what is the "Frequency" ?

Also, check carefully the option "Email results".